Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Netflix keeps crashing

Dear Virgin,

I have ongoing issues with Netflix, as well Catch Up and On Demand / BBC iPlayer

I reported this as a fault a few weeks back, was on hold for ages, got through, went through the fault details, was put on hold, someone came back and asked for more info, was put on hold again, was told it was being investigated, was put on hold for a further 30 minutes with no one coming back to advise me of what was going on, so I had to hang up. Despite the agent who I spoke to having my account details, no one called or emailed back to update me.

The fault persists.

I completed a feedback form that I was sent regarding this call and my disappointment at the service but received no response to this either.

For many months I have been having trouble accessing Netflix via my Virgin media TiVo box.  It’s very slow to start up and then when I do get into it, whatever I try to watch after a few minutes (5-20ish) the following message comes up: 'We're having trouble playing this title at the moment. Please try again later or select a different title'.  The problem is getting worse – e.g. during a 1-hour program, Netflix can fail up to 6 or 7 times. The same happens with On Demand and Catch up.

I have an old TIVO box which the Virgin Helpdesk advised some time ago they would not upgrade on the package I am on. The connection is wired ethernet. Kit will be reset, but fault persists, and this has been going on for months and is just getting worse.

When I log onto my Virgin account and try to run a test for the TV, the response I get every time is:

Technical error

Somethings gone wrong with the test.

Any help would be appreciated.

Maria

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Netflix keeps crashing

@Maria888 wrote:

Dear Virgin,

I have ongoing issues with Netflix, as well Catch Up and On Demand / BBC iPlayer

[snip]

For many months I have been having trouble accessing Netflix via my Virgin media TiVo box.  It’s very slow to start up and then when I do get into it, whatever I try to watch after a few minutes (5-20ish) the following message comes up: 'We're having trouble playing this title at the moment. Please try again later or select a different title'.  The problem is getting worse – e.g. during a 1-hour program, Netflix can fail up to 6 or 7 times. The same happens with On Demand and Catch up.

Ok, you've mentioned you have a TiVo box. There's 2 things to bear in mind here.

1: The box has its own inbuilt internet connection, but if this fails then anything that uses said connection, will fail. On the front-left of the box there's a series of green lights, second-from-left is the "heartbeat" or online light - which should be solidly on. If ever this flashes, your box has gone offline and any internet-functions will fail. Faulty box most likely.

2: The box is fundamentally old - standard Video On Demand shouldn't be too bad, but any of the streaming apps will struggle, there's no fixing this. If you've had your current package a while, and are trying to stream video a lot, and have VM broadband (this is a requirement) I would strongly recommend looking at swapping your box to the newer V6 with possibly a newer package to boot... as long as you're willing to re-contract for 12/18months.

The V6 is a much newer box, is a lot quicker in general operation - and I'm confident the difference using any of the streaming apps would be night and day compared to the older TiVo.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Dear Japitts,

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I am absolutely sure that the box is faulty and am hoping someone from Virgin will see this message and take action - I can see that they sometimes get involved and take action on some of these messages.

Fingers crossed they will replace my box.

Maria

Maria

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Maria888 wrote:

Dear Japitts,

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I am absolutely sure that the box is faulty and am hoping someone from Virgin will see this message and take action

No problem. VM staff are currently taking upto a week with responses on here. What makes you think your box is faulty? If you've not managed to call through in the meantime, it'll help the forum team if you explain why 😉

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

As per your comment 1: The box has its own inbuilt internet connection, but if this fails then anything that uses said connection, will fail. On the front-left of the box there's a series of green lights, second-from-left is the "heartbeat" or online light - which should be solidly on. If ever this flashes, your box has gone offline and any internet-functions will fail. Faulty box most likely.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Just so the Virgin Team are aware - my fault still persists and getting worse. I cannot get through to report a fault so I will wait for a response to this message.

Maria

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Fair enough - only fair to warn you they work from "oldest unread post" backwards so don't put constant "still waiting" updates on here unless you're sorted.. it'll just push you down the queue more.