Menu
MrPorridge
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Netflix - Constantly Stopping Stream

Hello. We have a Samsung-branded TiVo box which seems ok apart from accessing Netflix through it. We typically get between 5 and 20 minutes of a show then the message:

"We're having trouble accessing this title at the moment. Please try again later or select a different title." 

We then have to reload Netflix and keep trying to restart the programme, often without success. It's so infuriating that we can no longer watch Netflix on the TV. The last 2 hour film I watched took over 4 hours across 2 nights!

We have a multi-account Netflix subscription (ie. not bundled with Virgin) and everything is fine when accessing the account over our Virgin Broadband connection and streaming to PC, mobile etc.

I seem to recall it being OK when we first got Netflix (early this year) but post-lockdown, it's been impossible to access via the TV.

I realise the TiVo is old tech but does anybody have any ideas if we can do anything to help? 

Thanks
Mr.P

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Netflix - Constantly Stopping Stream

If this is caused by the TiVo modem dropping out partway through the playback, this is clearly a service fault. You can check this by looking at the heartbeat light on the front-left of the box, the second-green light from the left - this should be solidly on, but if the modem has dropped the connection it'll flash.

If that is the case, then report your fault and get it rectified. If that's not the case, then yes... the V6 is a much newer box and handles the various streaming apps so much better. If you have VM broadband (which is a requirement) and am in a position to renegotiate your bundle to a new 12/18month contract with a V6 swapout, it's well worth it....

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

MrPorridge
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you very much for this information and for taking the time to reply @japitts.

I just played a Netflix show and oddly it managed 20 minutes before stopping - way more than we've been getting lately. When I got the "we're having trouble playing this title" error message I checked the lights on the TiVo box and the second green light from the left was flashing. I take it this means that I should report the issue to Virgin, although I'm not sure what they can, or will, do. 

I'm not certain if we're in a position to start paying more for our VM package so I doubt we'll upgrade to the V6. It would be fantastic if we could get this issue fixed on the TiVo but we'll have to see what happens when I report it.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

On the green light, yes that means you have a fault which you'd be advised reporting to VM. I suspect they will go about replacing your box with a new one, but there is a possibility it's being caused by an area fault which they may task an engineer to investigate.

As regards your package - you may well find that a new package deal is cheaper than your existing one, VM certainly can't force you to take a newer one if it's going to cost you more. Have a little play with the bundle checker here (put in any serviceable address) and although it will quote you "new customer" prices which you can't necessarily expect to be offered, it'll certainly give you a ballpark figure to get an idea.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
MrPorridge
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Have tried to sort this for weeks. All help links on the website lead nowhere. Without a specific error code, there's nothing that can be done.

Tried complaining via the "make a complaint" link on website (complicated by the fact that my wife is the registered account holder so I have to log in as her and keep asking if there's been a reply) on 22 Oct 2020.

Virgin have failed to get back in touch or even acknowledge my issue. Have tried "make a complaint" link on website once again, this time using my personal email address, but don't hold out much hope.

All I can say is that I can't wait to change our broadband supplier. Virgin specs look the best on paper but the service has been terrible for months. Internet is permanently disconnecting, even late at night and TV services constantly fail. 

What makes me furious is all the excuses about Covid. I know this is a challenge but I am prepared to bet that if I wanted to upgrade my package and subscribe to movies, sport and a higher-spec TV box, I'd be able to get in touch with someone very quickly. I'm convinced that they are just using the crisis as a way of blocking any problems or complaints so that they can continue to charge for a sub-standard service.

Sorry for the rant. Am just at the end of my tether with this. Have spent my spare time over 2 nights trying to watch a film and I'm still only half way through. For every 10 minutes of film I have to keep rebooting or waiting for a new connection for at least as long, sometimes much longer. Total rip-off.

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Good morning @MrPorridge,

Welcome to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

I am sorry to hear that you are having had some issues with your TiVo box. 

I would be more than happy for to take a look into this for you, I am going to drop you a PM so that I can get some account information. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

0 Kudos