Menu
MistaDobalina
Joining in
Message 11 of 88
Flag for a moderator

Re: Netflix 25% buffering problem on TiVo box

So what about the rest of us having this same problem? Can you arrange to sort it out for us as well?

Re-selecting the show, or switching the box off and on again (and waiting 5 mins for it to restart) doesn't help. 

This is not a problem if I use a different telly and WiFi connection. Only happens on the Virgin Media connection. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Vurginnomedia
On our wavelength
Message 12 of 88
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Well, I had the engineer visit this morning....very nice person...reset my power levels and verified all connections working fine and power levels at optimum...but the bad news is when i went straight back into netflix on the first attempt the buffering 25% issue was still there...so i refused to sign the worksheet.

Some useful info resulted....other apps like catch up on demand do not exhibit the problem...so i'm now convinced it is a problem with the version of the netflix app installed on the Tivo box. Apparently there is no way to automatically update the app on the box and it looks like customers will have to wait until a new version of the tivo box is released..this might tie in with virgin media's support feedback that the problem will be fixed in june...they could not tell me what is happening in june to fix it but a new tivo box might be the reason for the june date.

The following is what i think needs to happen and managed by virgin media support (not netflix and no fobbing us off to contact netflix):

1. Virgin Media need to contact netflix and get netflix to agree it is a problem with the netflix app.

2. Netflix need to produce a new version of the app that works with the tivo box.

2.1. If netflix agree the 25% buffering point is where there is a regional check on ip address to check user is authorised to view content then disable this check if there is a problem with that check and virgin medias allocation of ip addresses to tivo boxes.

3. Virgin media need to get hold of the updated netflix app and work out a process for updating all the tivo boxes with the new version of the app, and this should include a consideration for enabling automatic updates of the netflix app so future issues with the app can be automatically accommodated by the tivo box.

4. Virgin media then need to manage the process of updating all tivo boxes and contact all customers to ensure the problem is fixed.

5. Virgin media then need to compensate all customers for the atrocious customer service treating their customers with contempt.

6. For corrective action - virgin Media need to retrain their customer services team to take ownership of the problem and not stonewall everyone by getting us to contact netflix. Virgin media offer the netflix service on the tivo box, if there is a problem with the netflix app THEY not us should be contacting netflix to sort the issue out on our behalf.

Thanks

Vurginnomedia
On our wavelength
Message 13 of 88
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Well, if I worked for virgin media as head of customer support i would certainly sort it out for you...or resign for being useless in the job. Hopefully the person who holds that position will read this and resign for being ineffective or come to the forum and justify their inability to do anything useful about the problem. Let's see if customer services are brave enough to face us!

thanks.

Vurginnomedia
On our wavelength
Message 14 of 88
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

posting this issue on facebook to try and get some bad publicity for virgin media....my thoughts are they will be protective of their brand so if enough people do the same they will get off their lazy backsides and do something about it. so please do the same and let's shame them into fixing their problem. Thanks.

0 Kudos
MistaDobalina
Joining in
Message 15 of 88
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, I didn't mean you, but rather the person who arranged the engineer visit. Sorry....I'm new at this!

Thanks for posting your experience and suggestions.

0 Kudos
Vurginnomedia
On our wavelength
Message 16 of 88
Flag for a moderator

Update: I've been in contact with both netflix and virgin media. Netflix confirmed the SDK (software installed) for their app is > 4.0.6 mine is 4.0.64 so not an issue. They suggested the tivo firmware may be out of date...Virgin media revealed ive got the latest version (they read out the version number to me and i confirmed that it was what was shown in System Info on the tivo box).

Virgin did reveal it was an area fault and when i explored more...it turns out that in my area the demand for streaming services netflix, you tube, iplayer, exceeds capacity planning ..so too many people around me are using the service. Earlier they mentioned it would be fixed in June and when i enquired more they explained that the internet capacity for online streaming services will be increased by June...the reason for the delay is local authority planning permission to dig up roads etc.  So the guidance is to watch the service during low demand periods and check if virgin are planning to  increase capacity in your area if you are experiencing the problem.

Thanks

0 Kudos
DianeSimons
Tuning in
Message 17 of 88
Flag for a moderator

I was having this problem on the Tivo but not the Ipads. I was getting extremely frustrated by it. 

I replaced my 5 meter long Cat 5 Ethernet cable that was a little stretched with a 10 meter cat 6 Ethernet cable. It hasn't cured it 100% but it's gone from several times a programme to once every 5 or 6 programmes. I call that a result. Not perfect but liveable.

I plan on using a couple of best performers in tests 2016 powerline passthrough things and an ethernet cable for the HD box upstairs. I have high hopes.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 18 of 88
Flag for a moderator

@DianeSimons wrote:

I was having this problem on the Tivo but not the Ipads. I was getting extremely frustrated by it. 

I replaced my 5 meter long Cat 5 Ethernet cable that was a little stretched with a 10 meter cat 6 Ethernet cable. It hasn't cured it 100% but it's gone from several times a programme to once every 5 or 6 programmes. I call that a result. Not perfect but liveable.

The Ethernet port on the Tivo isn't used for streaming, so your change will have had no impact on the Tivo's ability to stream from Netflix.  The Tivo has a built in 10Mbps modem that streams Netflix via the white coax cable.  Any improvements you have seen are purely coincidental.  The Tivo's Ethernet port is only used to put it on your LAN so that the virtual remote in the TV Anywhere app can control the Tivo.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

csherman
Joining in
Message 19 of 88
Flag for a moderator

Obviously everybody's set up is different, but I have seen this excuse about demand exceeding anticipated levels, but should I expect this to be the case at 03:00 - 04:00 in the morning. I am a shift worker and have as much issue with the 25% buffering stalling at this time of day/night as I can run Netflix diagnostics, constantly passing for the 4 Netflix master nodes. Network diagnostics show near perfect stats.

I haven't investigated much, but the first community post 3035332, I read that TechnoDribble had the issue first arise after upgrading their package, ditto.

I am contemplating a restore back to factory settings as this worked for technoDribble, as just reloading the netflix app does absolutely nothing. I'll let you how how I fare.

0 Kudos
AndrewCruze79
Hanging out
Message 20 of 88
Flag for a moderator

This has been annoying me for a while.

My issue with this 25% error is on my Samsung smart TV as well as my TiVo box.

I assumed it was a problem with Virgin however using the same broadband and hardware my PC and mobile device's work perfectly with Netflix.

So this got me thinking.
I purchased a Amazon Fire Stick to eliminate the TV and TiVo and to my surprise the Fire Stick had exactly the same problem.
However, when I connected the stick to my BT fibre it worked beautifully.

The only commonality between the TV, TiVo and Fire Stick is they all seem to use the same Netflix app. I believe there is a fundamental problem between this app and Virgins systems.

I've now got a Google Chromecast on my smart TV and I'm pleased to report Netflix is working fine.
I believe this is because the Chromecast uses the app on a phone, tablet or PC which is different to the one on the TV / TiVo.

Granted it's not an ideal fix and at £30 a bit expensive but it's a workable solution until Virgin and Netflix stop prating about and get this fixed.

Incidentally most smart TVs other than those running Android TV seem to suffer from the 25% problem on and off as well as Xbox and PlayStation.
0 Kudos