Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Need a new TiVo Box

My old Tivo boxcbox has now totally had it.  I cannot get through to the team on the phone and the online chat is beyond useless - up to 24 hours to reply and funnily enough I don't want to be looking at the screen for 24 hours solid in the hope I'll actually get a reply....

Anyway, I've tried getting a replacement TiVo box for some time now but with no joy - my box no longer works with Netflix, most catch up channels and now the remote fails all the time. Can never get to speak to anyone and when I do the tech team say they have magically fixed it their end (after I restart the box) only for it to go wrong again within an hour or two at most. 

Please can someone at Virgin respond and sort this out for me?

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Faulty TiVo box

Good luck getting that sorted and in getting any joy with Virgin nowadays. The customer service is beyond disappointing to day the least. 

I've tried getting a replacement TiVo box for some time now but with no joy - my box no longer works with Netflix, most catch up channels and now the remote fails all the time. Can never get to speak to anyone and when I do the tech team say they have magically fixed it their end (after I restart the box) only for it to go wrong again within an hour or two at most.  £82 per month that could be spent better elsewhere. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Need a new TiVo Box

Sorry i should have mentioned that I have a V6 box. I have reset it 3, maybe 4 times (and lost all my recordings in doing so) and have it connected via ethernet. So I've done all I can to try and get the old box working but with no joy. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@tjjpowles 

Sorry to ask, but it's not entirely clear from your posts - are you using a TiVo or a V6?

And what's the actual problem with your box?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi

It's a V6 box - I think they're TiVo V6 boxes?

Anyway problems are primarily with catch-up channels not working unless I reboot the box, but then only works for that evening before stopping again. Remote now drops signal repeatedly - or just stops working. That's the remote that comes with it and also a Harmony Elite remot and also my Sony TV remote that can also control it. It also reboots itself from time. I've resorted to using the built in apps on my TV for catch-up as the box is woeful. Now that the remotes stop working and I'm unable to turn it on at times (or off), I'm unable to put up with it any longer bearing how much I'm paying for the service. 

I've reset the box a few times but the same problems repeat. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

The two boxes are pictured here 

The V6 is infinitelty better at apps & iPlayer than the V6, but does come with the caveat of not having its own internet connection and is wholly reliant on your homehub. That's fine, but while an Ethernet cable is the best way of linking the two, a WiFi connection does introduce more variables and can often be the underlying cause of issues.

Occasional overnight reboots are one thing - regular and/or daytimes are another.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. It's the V6 box. 

I have it connected via ethernet so no internet problems. And it restarts during the day at random times. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Well I thought I'd have another go at speaking to someone to sort this - sadly the call centres are apparently closed as a result of coronavirus... everyone else has to work, apart from the call centres who are meant to assist in fixing problems like this.....great service! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Replacement V6 Box

Hi

Does anyone know whether getting a replacement or second hand V6 box will simply be a plug and play replacement for my existing faulty box? As in it won't need any sort of programming to work?

The customer support at Virgin is a total joke and after spending almost a year trying to get a replacement box via Virgin I'm thinking of saving my stress levels, if not my wallet, and picking up a replacement myself (how on earth has it come to this....?!). 

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Replacement V6 Box

You can only get kit from Virgin Media directly.

Kit is rented not sold as part of your subscription. Any kit available from other places is stolen from Virgin Media as at no point is ownership transferred to a customer.

It also won't ever work as Virgin Media won't activate kit they've not directly supplied to a customer.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos