Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

My Shows and BBC4

We have quite a few BBC4 documentaries saved under my shows. 
When we try and watch any recently we get a message saying BBC4 is no longer supported.
Is this the case or a fault in our system?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: My Shows and BBC4

Hi

Two things to consider:

1) Virgins licences only allow for recording for “time shifting purposes only”. They are not authorised as an archive & there are no permissions from the content owner for any other purposes. Also Virgin owns the box.

2) When channels cease broadcasting on the network the channel Metadata has to still be transmitted for the programmes to be viewable. Virgin gives you circa 6 months to view any programmes after the removal. In the case of Sky channels permission to view is removed immediately by the broadcaster.

Thanks

Josh

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

It would seem that the EPG data for "old" BBC4 has now been deleted, and those recordings are thus now unwatchable.

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Okay, thanks.
Sounds like we've just had them too long.
That's a pity as BBC don't put much onto dvd anymore, I'd saved most for watching alongside topics on history GCSE. But nevermind I'll have to see if I can search them out.
Thanks for your help. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

This query first came up back in February when the placeholder data was removed.

There's some more information in https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV/BBC4-recordings-not-playable-from-my-Tivo-box/td-p/41... this thread, although - sadly for the OP - it's not going to alter the end result that these recordings are no longer watchable.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos