Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Multi Room

I have several questions about multi-room. The Virgin Media person I spoke to today didn't seem to have a clue. First off I am on an older Tivo box, and it seems that the best experience is with the V6 box?

Secondly, he suggested that I need a new connection - i.e. a second cable from the pavement, across the garden and then into the house to connect into the second box - is this true, or can I simply plug in the box and connect it to my wireless network at home?

If true, the whole idea of multi-room from VM seems too much hassle. There appears to be no guidance on the website for MR installs, or technical reqs. - would love some guidance here. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Multi Room

V6 boxes need 2 connections.

The coax cable which provides all the broadcast channels, most OD content & authorisation signals. The existing coax can be split at the external wall box, or internally in the house to feed multiroom.

The internet connection (ideally ethernet or powerline, but can be WiFi) for EPG, firmware updates & app content.

Multiroom boxes are totally independent of each other (unlike SkyQ which is dependent on the master box for everything) with inter-box streaming both ways. You can also stream to mobiles & tablets from both boxes over your home network.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

OK - this is useful. So to be clear, and given that it would be impractical to wire internally from the existing Tivo box, I would need a net new connection running from the street to the back of the house (the location of the 2nd box) or a split in the feed at some point between the street and the house, but I would not need internet as I can pick up wireless? The latter is key as I have older wiring in the house which I do not think would be as effective as the wireless internet I currently have - I get in excess of 180MBS download on wireless.

But, sounds like I would need V6 boxes in both rooms.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

As I said. The connection at the omni-box on the front of your house can be split & a cable run externally to the rear providing the path does not go above 1st floor height.

Some people find that WiFi works ok & some don’t. To stream HD between boxes you really need the 5Ghz WiFi to work well. 2.4Ghz seems to be always causing issue due to contention with neighbours hubs. If the V6 & hub are on the same ring main circuit powerlines should work fine. They should be plugged directly into a ring main socket to work best & if you have issues with not enough of these there are plenty of models that have a socket on the back so you don’t lose the use of the one you plugged the Powerline into.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

So I have one further question, which again the Virgin team don't seem to be able to answer. Understood on the cabling - there is a hard wire into the back of the V6 box. Understand on the WIFI - but this is only a dependency when streaming content (usually a recorded programme) from one V6 box to another. I assume that when I want to watch live TV on either of the boxes there is no dependency on the WIFI as there is a direct TV feed going into the back of the box - i.e. a live feed of Sky Sports on the 2nd box would travel through the coax cable into the back of that box, and would not be streamed from the "primary" V6 box across the wireless network? Again, this is important as I would rarely be streaming recorded programmes to the 2nd box.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

the v6 box needs a internet connection (wifi at a minimum) for updates and EPG data. you will need the internet as well as the coax

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yes, understand - but that doesn't answer my question 🙂

For live TV, does the V6 box depend on the WIFI - I assume not as in that case it would come through the coax - i.e. if I were to turn the WIFI off, the live TV would still work - but I would lose the ability to stream from another V6 box, download updates etc. - not that I am suggesting I would turn it off, but the difference between needing WIFI for HD TV and needing it for updates is significant. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

In terms of live channels think of the coax connection as the feed from a rooftop aerial, except Virgins local cable headend is the “aerial”.

WiFi is needed for everything else (EPG, Updates, BBC iPlayer, Netflix etc plus some On Demand content, inter-box & box to mobile device streaming.

If you turn the WiFi off you will get a lot of flashing lights & warnings on the V6. The EPG updates every 2 hours plus firmware & NIT updates occur overnight, so it’s not a good idea to disconnect from WiFi.

Use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Perfect, I have no intention of disconnecting WIFI but the Virgin team have been advising that I need a stable / strong connection to watch the TV, and I have been saying "surely that comes through the coax cable" - which you've just confirmed below, so happy days. Aside from the quite noncompetitive quote vs. Sky this does seem to be the best option for me. Thanks for your help ! 

0 Kudos