cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing subtitles

dotsend
Tuning in

I'm missing subtitles for a show called The Good Doctor, on demand via Sky Witness. The subtitles were working fine on Season 1, 2 and the first few episodes of season 3 however they don't appear now on the later episodes (they still work on the older episodes). I've reboot, reset, did all the bog standard vanilla troubleshooting methods to no avail. I've noticed several posts in which shows are missing their subtitles, reported which leads to a fix being implemented Virgin side, could that be the case here? Many thanks in advance

9 REPLIES 9

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Can you be specific about which episodes are missing subtitles, and whether you're viewing the SD or HD variants? What are the "bog standard vanilla" things you've tried - can you be more specific?

If you press the "info" button and scroll to the second tab down, are subtitles reported as available? I've tested S3 E1 in HD which doesn't have subtitles, and S3 E6 which does.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

All three say they don't have subtitles, SD/HD/UHD. I meant bog standard in terms of client side error, the generic test kit/first line support steps.

Where do I go from here in terms of requesting the subtitles, if that's possible? My mother is deaf and I'm doing my best to run a speech-to-text piece of software and overlaying it through two sources via mirroring, it's a dumb fix but my mum really likes the show, it's just a bit inaccurate and took making a custom script just to sync it up.

Basically, is there anyway I can request that subtitles are added or even submit them? 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Subtitles are provided by the broadcaster and not necessarily within VM's control. That said, there shouldn't be inconsistency between episodes as to availability.

Can you confirm which episodes you see as missing subtitles? Others can replicate this. VM do pick up posts here but it's not a real-time facility.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thank you for your continued support friend, I've just checked and it would seem that S3 E1 does not have subtitles however I was sure that there was subtitles, maybe I'm wrong though.

Is there any way to proceed from here or is this the end of the line in terms of paths forward?

I can confirm both S1 and S2 has subtitles with the same provider as S3 if that makes a difference! 

dotsend
Tuning in

Oh quick update it would seem that Season 3 Episode 13 does infarct have subtitles on the HD version via Sky Witness 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

From a quick check of the first 6 episodes of S3 using the HD variants... only E2 & E6 have subtitles. I also suspect there may be inconsistency in the SD availability. The lead-ins seem different between them too, but I can't put my finger on why.

Over to the VM staff team, there's definitely something awry here.

Hey dotsend, thank you for reaching out and a warm welcome to the community I am sorry to hear about this.

With subtitles this is added on by the broadcaster we have no control over this, from reading above it does look like it has been patchy with what is subbed and what's not. 

Is it giving you any error when you try and press play with subtitles? 

If not every episode has subtitles yet its something they may add in the future. Cheers 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Thank you for the welcome!

There's no error! It does state that there are no subtitles on some of the episodes.

If I wanted to reach out and make a request for them or alert them that there's a mixture of episodes with and without the subtitles, do you know whom it would be that I'd reach out to? Is it Sky as it comes via Sky Witness or is it the people that license the show to Sky?

Okay thank you for letting us know.

Yes as it would be Sky unfortunately as they make / license the show.

I am sure you could put a request in on there feedback form. Cheers 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?