Menu
Andra1
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Mis Sold Contract

Hello,

I’ve called VM 1 month before the promotional offer was over to cancel - going from £50 to £95 is something I cannot afford, especially not in these uncertain times.

I was then called from retentions, a sweet talker, who was selling even sweeter dreams. Same package at the great price of £35. I was over the moon! Of course I’ve accepted. I asked several times whether the package and internet speed will stay the same and I was reassured each time. 

I’ve now sat in front of the TV and noticed I can’t navigate on my TV v6 box. I checked the contract received today which states the additional V6 box was removed, the internet speed went down from M350 to M100 and the overall bundle was downgraded from Bigger Bundle to Big Bundle.

I feel like a fool as the very naive me was praising and thanking the agent for his kindness and helpful manner when he clearly knew he was misselling my package which caused the discounted price.

How is this acceptable? I’ve never agreed or discussed any changes to my package. Can VM just take freedom in meddling in people’s contracts?

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Mis Sold Contract

You've not been mis-sold, you've just been lied to, or there was an "honest mistake" somewhere on VM's part.  Either way, your legal rights are crystal clear - information provided by a company verbally or written is binding if the consumer relies upon it when entering a contract (Consumer Rights Act 2015), so VM have to honour whatever was promised, whether they like it or not.  And perhaps they need to re-train some of their staff...

Hopefully the forum staff can pick this up and get it sorted - by which I mean that you get exactly the deal you were promised, not some less attractive compromise.  That would be the cheapest and quickest resolution for both parties, and the best way of trying to recover some goodwill in a bad situation.  If they can't get it sorted in that complete manner, you need to search, read and follow the Virgin Media Complaints Code of Practice.  Raise a formal complaint (in writing, by post), rejecting the contract they've imposed, and demanding that as per your legal rights the company honour what was promised, and pointing out that if the company can't honour its agreement you will escalate to the industry arbitration scheme as soon as permitted by the rules.  In the meanwhile, don't do anything daft like stopping your direct debit, that'll be recorded as a credit default, and opens up whole new realms of difficulty for you.  The company should have call recordings of the retention conversation, although in these times it is possible those systems aren't active on all calls, but in that instance there is no record of any new contract being agreed, and you can reject the arrangements they've imposed on you as unagreed, and leave immediately and without penalty, though you'd probably still need to invoke the complaints code to get that outcome.  Either way, specify in the complaint that VM are NOT to contact you by phone - this forces them to do things in writing, but also stops them closing a complaint when after a single half baked attempt to call you they couldn't get you.

If VM still won't honour the contract despite the complaint, then you follow the process and escalate to the industry arbitration scheme, CISAS, explaining the background and requesting that VM give you the promised deal, fully backdated, and add on a request for compensation for the hassle.  Not only does escalation to CISAS cost VM money (free to you, costs of several hundred quid are ALWAYS paid by the company) but it gets your case investigated and impartially heard by expert dispute resolution staff.  From published data, the vast majority of complaints escalated to CISAS, either the company immediately concedes, compromises, or loses at the end of arbitration.  Sadly that's not quick, and VM have up to eight weeks to resolve the complaint before you can go to CISAS, on the other hand your legal rights are very clear.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Andra1

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. I am sorry to hear of this dispute but happy to assist you further with the complaint about this matter. I'll send you a PM to discuss further.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Swf
Superfast
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

They lie. They must be on commissions.    Iv been lied to loads over the phone and chat.    Sadly nothing is ever done.    Wee need a cook report type thing   .  

All the forum staff also know that they lie ect 

Andra1
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply Andruser, I’m definitely intending on following the steps you’ve listed - very detailed, much appreciated. 

0 Kudos