Menu
cptspudgun
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Lots of problems with my Tivo

Not sure if these are all the same problem or separate ones.

1. Tivo doesn't stay on standby but turns itself back on if left.
  2. Crashes often, showing no picture. This is seen to happen when I turn on the tv after it has been off for a time.
  3. Some recorded programs skip and freeze.
  4. Sometimes live tv picture skips and judders.

Most of the above get better after a long reset.

Is there a quick fix? I can't really afford to upgrade to the newer 360 box.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Lots of problems with my Tivo

"Tivo doesn't stay on standby but turns itself back on if left." - does this happen overnight, or at other times?

"Crashes often, showing no picture. This is seen to happen when I turn on the tv after it has been off for a time." - possibly a fault, but could you explain more?

"Some recorded programs skip and freeze" - does this also happen with paused & delayed TV? Could be hard drive issues if so.

"Sometimes live tv picture skips and judders." - pixellation & picture breakup could be signal issues.

In any of these cases, if a reboot solves them for a short time before they recur then there's clearly an underlying issue needing addressed.

Worrying about a 360 is jumping several steps ahead here, you may just need a fault replacement of your TiVo. The V6 box runs the same software as your TiVo but on much newer hardware and would be an upgrade in every sense - but again, we're opening a can of worms here that doesn't necessarily need opening.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your post and reaching out to the Community Forums. cptspudgun,

Sorry to hear that you have been having Tivo Issues. Has the service improved since your post? I've had a look at your connection as was not able to identify any issues from here.

Cheers,

Corey C

cptspudgun
Tuning in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Corey_C, it does tend to be intermittent. There will be days where the Tivo works adequately then others where the problems I mentioned crop up.  The not staying in standby is continuous, and the crashing is fairly regular.  I also forgot to mention that the UI gets very unresponsive at times also.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

It would be useful to know if the box coming out of standby is happening overnight or other times. If it's overnight, that could well be scheduled software updates and/or network maintanance. Any other time, possibly not so.

The other issues, notable the box crashing and rebooting, shouldn't be happening more than occasionally, IMO.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply, cptspudgun, when was the last time it played up?  @japitts, is right that it's usually an update that wakes the box, can you confirm if this is the case? 

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos
cptspudgun
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@japitts the the coming out of standby does seem to be in the morning, so that is one issue that has an explanation, thank you.

@Core_C the last time it played up before my original post was a couple of days before that. The most recent was yesterday, two programmes I had recorded were very jittery on play back

0 Kudos
Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi @cptspudgun,

Thank you for getting back to us. I'm really sorry to hear that these issues are ongoing.

If you haven't done so already, I would recommend performing a factory reset of the TV box to see if that helps to alleviate these issues for you. However, please keep in mind that doing this will delete all of your currently stored recordings and any setting changes from the default.

Keep us posted.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

cptspudgun
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@Zach_R, I will give that a try as a last resort, thank you. And thanks for all the advice from everyone who replied.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

To add to @Zach_R suggestion, the logic follows that you'll lose all your recordings with a replacement box anyway, so there's nothing to lose by following the resets under Home > Help & Settings > Clear or restart my box

Each reset has on-screen guidance as to what it does, and how to do it.