Menu
Dialled in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Lost Channel 4 recordings

So I finally got round to watching the backlog of stuff on my TiVo. And I find my Channel 4 recordings are "This show is from a locked channel (104 Channel4)" and I need to enter a PIN.

Having guessed what that PIN would be I then get "We're sorry, but this recording can't be viewed because Channel4 is no longer available from Virgin Media" and gives me an "OK" and "Delete this show" option.

So how do I watch what I recorded, or have they gone forever ?

If they have gone for good; why was there no warning these shows, whole series, were going to disappear, at least giving me a chance to watch them before they'd gone ?

And how can I trust that other things I have recorded and want to keep, or want to watch later, won't suddenly disappear in future ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Lost Channel 4 recordings

Anything you record is temporary, I think after a channel has been gone 6 months the recordings are no longer watchable, and there is no guarantee that things you recorded will be watchable forever 

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I wonder if the OP is in London - C4-HD has been swapped around there?

With some of the HD/SD swaps, some channels were effectively deleted/recreated rather than being moved. There've been a few posts about BBC2 recordings recently being lost - presumably the hidden EPG data for the old channels is now being deleted.

Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Yes, it does seem my Channel 4 went HD on 104, which I guess then lost everything recorded as SD.

I am not sure why the SD programmes were lost simply because 104 went HD. Channel 4 SD content still seems to be available through Channel 4+1. If I had recorded them from Channel 4+1 it seems I would still have everything I have lost. It would be obtuse to suggest Channel 4+1 isn't Channel 4, more so to say that Channel 4 has been removed.

The really annoying thing is I have recorded the shows so they are on my TiVo, just that some technical nonsense prevents them being viewed. I'm now wishing I'd recorded the shows with my trusty analogue PVR.

But my biggest complaint is that there was no warning of impending loss. The shows were sitting in my recorded list with no signs they weren't or wouldn't be viewable.

So I guess everything I have recorded on SD will be lost when those channels are switched to HD.

Amusingly, while searching Virgin Media's help pages, I did find -

"There’s nothing worse than missing the nail-biting finale of your favourite show, or the kick-off of the big match you’ve recorded"

Oh yes there is. That's having recorded the nail-biting finale of your favourite show only to find Virgin Media then won't let you watch it !
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

The vast majority of the time, TiVo recordings have no time limit. However... the boxes are designed for time-shifting not long-term archiving and I suspect VM's (entirely reasonable) thinking is that very little timeshift viewing takes more than 6months.

Out of interest, what programs have you got recorded and when were they broadcast?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

The Channel 4 HD change was a year ago, so they will have to have been before that

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV/Channel-4-starts-transition-to-HD-only-this-Thursday/...
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

[i]Out of interest, what programs have you got recorded and when were they broadcast?[/i]

The main loss was Humans series 3 - July 2018. Quite a while ago but I had kept it until I had time to re-watch Series 1 and 2 DVD's then onto that.

The others may be 2018, possibly earlier, but hard to tell as the TiVo only shows "day/month".

I've got a couple of Dr Who from 2015, and X-files from 2016, I enjoy re-watching - Christmas treats - so I didn't expect more recent to go.

I agree it's "extreme time-shifting" but that was the point of my PVR and then TiVo; that I could watch when it suited me, when I had the time, when I was in the right frame of mind. I frequently keep old stuff I only watch months later.

And I'll agree it's not the end of the world. Just very annoying when what one expects to be there isn't, and you never know what might disappear in the future..
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hippyclone - I had the same problem as you. We have been saving Homeland Series 7 to watch. These were broadcast Feb 2018-May 2018 on Channel 4. Last Tuesday 25/02/20 we watched S7 E6, the next day we sat down to watch S7 E7 and got the error message that Channel 4 is no longer available. So can't catch up ready for the new Homeland series 8 being broadcast now. Surely if recorded on Tivo box it doesn't matter that C4 is now HD, just want to watch what has been previously recorded on the Tivo hard drive!  

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@Maxda wrote:

Surely if recorded on Tivo box it doesn't matter that C4 is now HD, just want to watch what has been previously recorded on the Tivo hard drive!  

The recording is still there, but it is from a channel (C4 SD) that is no longer exists, so effectively you no longer have permission to view it. Virgin have to maintain the removed channels data on the network in order for recordings from a removed channels to be viewable. They cannot do this for every channel that was ever on the network indefinately, so they give you 3 -6 months (or in this case a year) to view the recorded material, unless the broadcaster asks for rights to be removed earlier.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

The recordings are there on disk so it's only Virgin Media deciding that people cannot view them which prevents them being viewed.

It doesn't matter that "Channel 4 is no longer available" [sic]. Channel 4 SD definitely does still exist; because that's what I watch and can record from my subscription-free Sky box which doesn't support HD.