cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loose HDMI lead causes box malfunction?

Tom41
Up to speed

I have spent the day trying to get my Virgin TiVo box to work. When powered up it displays the 'Starting Up' screen for a few seconds, then the TV changes to a 'no signal' message and stays like that. Once the lights had stablised the box wasn't responding to remote commands and wasn't displaying anything on the screen. I found I could access the recordings from my other TiVo box across a network, so the hard disk is fine.

The curious thing was when the TV was powered off the box was flashing its remote light and responding to remote commands. Turning the TV on, however, it stopped responding to the remote.

I then pulled out the HDMI lead from the TV and plugged it back in - voila; picture and sound back on! I've never seen this sort of thing happen before with a loose HDMI connection. How come the Starting Up screen was displaying ok but not the main output?

4 REPLIES 4

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A video output self-test is part of the boot sequence.

At a guess, you've got a faulty HDMI lead there and it's causing issues.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi @Tom41,

Welcome back to our forums.

Thank you for getting in touch with us regarding this HDMI issue. It is quite strange. As mentioned by @japitts, you may have a faulty HDMI cable. Have you tried replacing it since posting? If so what were the results?

Please get back to me when you can.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

After telephoning Virgin's fault line, the agent ran some diagnostics and concluded that the TiVo box itself was faulty. They sent out a new box of the same kind; I have put it in service now, along with the brand new HDMI lead that was included. So far everything is working as it should - I will post here if anything goes wrong.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello Tom41,

Thank you for the update 🙂

I am glad to see that it is working for you.

Please do let us know if anything changes.

Thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide