Menu
Pwood
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Iplayer/Netflix slow and crashing

Hello,

I've been having issues intermittently for the past year with Iplayer, netflix and On demand services. The apps are all so painfully slow that it often takes a couple of minutes to load and another couple of minutes to navigate to what to watch.

When the programmes are eventually buffered they crash after anywhere between 10-30 minutes. A reboot of the box fixes the issue but then it continues to happen and requires me to restart anywhere between 5-6 times to watch an hour long programme.

The issue seems to have gotten worse lately.

The box is a TiVO.

We had an engineer out to look at the problems, and whilst our broadband issues have been fixed, the television issues remain.

From a glance at the forum, it seems the culprit is the TiVo box, which would suggest this is not fit for purpose.

The longer this issue persists, the more i am seriously considering leaving Virgin at the end of my contract.

Is there any way to fix this? I cannot see a number to call on the website currently.

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Iplayer/Netflix slow and crashing

Thanks for the post Pwood and welcome to our community.

Can we please first confirm that the Tivo box is connected through an ethernet cable or WiFi?

As these apps are all run through broadband it would suggest the broadband may not be reaching this. 

Can we also please confirm if you've already tried the below steps? 

Home> Help&Settings> Settings> Network> Connect to Virgin Media Service Now

Thanks, Emily.

0 Kudos
Pwood
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emily,

I've conneted to virgin media now and still have the same issues.

With regards to internet connnection, there is no ethernet in the back, but it hasnt been set up to connect to wifi either but wifi connection is strong with any other device in the room, i presume its wired back somehow

Regards

Pauline

0 Kudos
Pwood
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi again, 

I've tried to find WiFi in settings but there isn't any option, so the tivo box we have must be an old pre v6 if that information helps 

Thanks 

Pauline

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Superstar
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi the tivo boxes have built in Internet so don't need separate connection to the Internet. Regards Micky
0 Kudos
Pwood
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Okay,

So any idea what is causing my issues then?

If it's not internet, then it must be a network issue or faulty box i guess?

The issue has been going on for a long time now...

Regards,

Pauline

0 Kudos
DaFoot
Dialled in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I know this isn;t going to help you, but you describe the same problem we've had with our Tivo box since... well forever I think!

I found something that helped for little while before it reverted to same poor performance, on top of the box there are several buttons. Find the one for power, press and hold until if goes off. Then turn it on again.

This process seems to help a little it (still very slow, but red button takes a minute instead of several minutes to respond). I wonder if forcing the restart clears the cache that may have been full and causing slowness.

We've essentially written off the red button as unusable on Virgin. Really annoying when things like Olympics are on.

Just another reason I want to leave Virgin, we've been stuck with them for too long!

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Pwood 

A bit of "back to square one" if that's ok...

Virgin have 2 TV boxes which you can see here - the TiVo is the older box which, while perfectly suitable for live TV, recording and basic apps, is now older. The V6 is the newer box and is much more suited to iPlayer & Netflix, and also carries additional apps (ITV Hub, 4od, my5) that aren't available on the TiVo.

TiVo has one incoming Coax cable which carries the TV signal and also the 10Mb/s dedicated internet for the internal cablemodem. The V6 doesn't have a cablemodem inside and instead relies on a connection (wired or WiFi) to your Virgin homehub. If you don't take Virgin broadband, then you can't have a V6.

I've not exhaustively read your comments about your box performance, but if it all boils down to app performance and iPlayer/Netflix being slow to load, then the ultimate answer is a V6 box to be honest. While the TiVo should load them and certainly shouldn't be rebooting, the V6 is just so much better at it.

I would strongly recommend, if you've not already, report your rebooting problems to VM and get them investigated. Even more so if you have VM broadband 😉

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks