Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Interruptions to catch-up tv

Some days catch-up tv works perfectly.  Other days there are interruptions.  Sometimes the interruptions, in which the picture freezes then disappears to be replaced by the revolving circle symbol, are so frequent that it is impossible to watch tv on catch-up.

Why is this?  Is it because the local Virgin lines do not have the capacity to cope when lots of people are viewing or using computers?  Is it some form of interruption to wi-fi?

Whatever it is, we are not getting the television service that we are paying for and this is extremely unsatisfactory.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Interruptions to catch-up tv

Are you watching on a TiVo or a V6? If you're not sure, check here 

Further advice depends on the answer, the two boxes have different ways of connecting to the internet.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It is a V6

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The V6 relies on your homehub to provide the onward connection to the internet - this covers your OnDemand, guide updates and numerous other functions.

How is your V6 connected to your VM Superhub? Ethernet is best, but WiFi can work if the signal is strong enough.

Using your V6 remote, follow Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network, the top-right corner reports your connection status. What does it say?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

75 percent good. 54Mbps 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Ok then, if not spectacular.

It would be interesting to know if the signal strength is varying much from that 75% - I'm not sure what the criteria is for what is deemed usable, but I've heard of users having problems around the ~60% mark so if you have good days and bad as you say, it wouldn't be impossible for some WiFi-interference to push that over the edge.

What is your normal broadband speed too? If you V6 is only reporting 54Mbs, I'm wondering if the box is compensating for poor WiFi signal to an extent, already.

And when your VOD does dropout or have issues, are you getting any specific error messages? They would give a clue as to the underlying reason.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

This is very helpful.  Thank you.

As far as I understand it the wi-fi speed at our main computer, which is close to the router, is 144/72 Mbps.

The router is in the study, first floor, east corner.  There is an extension-booster in the eastern corner of the bedroom in the west corner of the house, and the television and V6 box are in the western corner of the room below that bedroom.  We live close to a major hospital and I sometimes suspect that emanations from that might affect our wi-fi.  There are also halls of residence not far away and catch-up seemed to get worse when students returned after the first lockdown, though that may be just coincidence.

Yesterday tv-catchup worked perfectly all evening, but the day before it was impossible to use.

So far today signal strength at the V6 has been 80% at 9.45 and 75%at 11:15.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Helm1,

You might be able to improve your wireless signal. You could do a search for an app such as inssider or wifi analyzer which tells you the strength of the channel you are connected on.

It also shows other channels, such as the ones your neighbours are connecting to, so you can decide if you want to change the channel number on your hub, to get a clearer signal not obstructed by others. 

Once you've done that open a browser and log into your hub 192.168.0.1 - then navigate to the following settings

Advanced Settings > Wireless > Wireless Signal >   Under the Smart Wifi heading click on Disable Channel Optimization

Then beneath both the 5Ghz and  2.4GHz sections click on the manual button, and in the drop down box click on the channel number you want to change it to, then scroll down and  click on Apply Changes.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

This is very helpful, though possibly beyond my capabilities.  For several days now we have had 75% - 80% and no catch-up interruptions.  I hope it continues, but I will keep your instructions to hand in case they are needed.

0 Kudos