Menu
Highlighted
Nhookey
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent subtitles

Hi

I'm hard of hearing and rely on subtitles a lot.

Whenever I watch ITV on the TiVo box I find that sometimes the subtitles don't show up, or flash up briefly, or the bottom line appears and the top line doesn't.

I spoke to technical support and they didn't understand me, kept asking me to turn the subtitles off and on again.

It also happens on live programs, I have noticed. The subtitles are most likely to be missing when the speech is hardest to hear!

Is this a known issue with a solution?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent subtitles

Hi Nhookey,

Welcome to our forums and thank you for reaching out with your subtitle trouble. I'm really sorry that you've also had difficulty raising this with our technical support team, on top of the initial fault.

We aren't aware of any known issues with ITV subtitles and we haven't been able to replicate the issue in the office. More than happy to run through some diagnostics with you to see if we can get to the bottom of this.

First of all, could you please let me know whether this happens on HD, SD or both? Is it also all ITV channels, or just the main one?

Could you confirm whether there are any particular programmes you've noticed are affected, or is it across the board?

If you haven't already tried, it may be worth rebooting your box, or manually connecting to our network by following these steps: press Home on your remote > select Help & Settings > select Settings > select Network > select Connect to the Virgin Media Service now.

Thanks,

Rachael

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nhookey
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I've done some checking today. It seems that the problem is limited to ITV HD, but all programs on it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nhookey,

Thank you very much for taking a look and getting back to me. I'll pass this on to our TV team and see what they say, we may have to escalate this further.

Could you let me know whether you've tried rebooting or reconnecting? This is just to rule out any blips with your V6's internal processes, sometimes technology needs a bit of a kick!

Thanks,

Rachael

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nhookey
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I've tried rebooting and reconnecting, and I've had the problem for at least the last year...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. I appreciate that it's very basic troubleshooting, but it would be no good at all if we'd missed the first step!

I do apologise that you've been having this problem for quite so long, we really need to get this sorted. Would you be able to switch your V6 on right now so I can take a look at all the levels entering your equipment?

If the service is sub-optimal at all, this could be the cause of your trouble. If everything is reading within spec, it may be that we need to raise an IT ticket or consider trying a replacement box.

Thanks,

Rachael

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nhookey
Joining in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

It's on now...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

HI Nhookey, that is great news. Please let us know if you need anything ^Chris 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nhookey
Joining in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, the V6 is on now, the subtitles still don't work

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nhookey

Thanks for the message, we will send you a private message so that this can be looked into further for you. 

^Chris

0 Kudos