Menu
Michali
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent black screen on TV

System; TiVo V6 box, Sony TV, Sony Sound Bar and super woofer. 

Every day or two, the TV suddenly goes blank. You can hear the sound but no picture. 

1. We have unplugged everything and it all came back on. 
  2. We have reset TiVo box but get a ‘unsupported signal, check your device output' message.
  3. We have turned off just the TiVo box and TV,  turned both on again as well as the sound  bar and it all came back on. 

We have checked TV is working well as we can access through Freeview and change the input on Sound Bar to get audio, which suggests Sound Bar is also working.  

We called VM and a very helpful lady suggested it is a broadband issue and that the signal is not strong enough to feed through to the TV. We later received a text to say the the broadband is fixed. However, two hours later the TV went off again and I had to turn off the TiVo box and TV and then turn on TiVo box, TV and sound bar. It worked! But something is obviously wrong and, as the broadband/WiFi signal was very strong (Speedtest) when the TV went off this time, it seems unlikely it is a broadband issue. 

Possibly not related but we do have to reboot our Hub2 frequently when we cannot connect our devices via WiFi.  When this happens, however, the TV is not affected. 

Any ideas please? 

0 Kudos
Christy_D
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent black screen on TV

Hi there

Are you running the HDMI lead straight from the V6 box into the back of the TV? Also have you got a 4K Television?

If so please try going into the Video Output Settings in the V6 box and disable all resolution settings and only leave 1080p and 1080p Passthrough enabled. See if this cures the issue.

Thank you for your post

Christy

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Michali
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your quick response. We do not have a 4K TV. The TV is mounted on the wall and therefore it is difficult  to determine if the HDMI cable goes directly from the TiVo box into the TV. I suspect it goes via the sound bar but I could be wrong. This is all far too technical for me!  I would not even know how to access the TiVo box! The system has been working perfectly for nearly six years though we cannot remember exactly when the TiVo box was upgraded V6. 

0 Kudos
Michali
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Further to the above, I checked the HDMI cable which appears to go into the sound bar and is then connected to another HDMI cable that goes into the TV. I was going to tighten the connections as the TV refused to come on again at all. As soon as I lifted the sound bar off the wall, the whole system came on again and, touch wood, has remained working well since. I can only surmise that there was a loose connection somewhere that caused the intermittent break in picture and that it righted itself when I moved the sound bar, but I am not going to touch the cables etc at present.