Menu
Realnannysheila
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

IS THIS A SCAM

Just taken another call on my home phone purporting to be from Virgin telling me my internet is about to be disconnected as it's not working properly.  I have had no problems.

Told to press 1 to speak to Virgin engineer.  This time someone answered and told me to go to my computer and log in.

When I pointed out I had no problems, and asked whether this was a scam, the caller rang off.

Should I be worried ?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Edward_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: IS THIS A SCAM

Hi there, 

This certainly does sound like a scam.

We would not contact you in this manner regarding your account. 

This is whats known as a phishing scam whereby often the scammers will contact multiple people on the offchance that they are customers of a particular company. 

Can I ask if you followed their instructions? 

If so, I would strongly recommend having your computer checked over to ensure that there are no virus' etc. 

I would also suggest sending an email to phishing@virginmedia.com to report this.

I hope this helps 

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Of course its a scam. You do not even need to think about it being a scam. It's being doing the rounds for a couple of years now as a simple Google search would show. Do not bother VM with it. They are way too busy at the moment. Get more of these - just put the phone down.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-6712011/Want-foil-scammers-say-internet-cut-Dont-p...

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Realnannysheila
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

No I didn't do anything on my computer.

However when the same thing happened 10 days ago, I did receive a reply from someone on this board, who said he worked for Virgin, asked for my account number and area code, which I, maybe naively,  gave him.   He replied a couple of days later and said he'd checked it out with engineers, and the problem was due to be dealt with before 22/4. I don't have a problem.

0 Kudos
Realnannysheila
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, but some people lead very sheltered lives.  Sorry to have bothered you.

Take care. Stay safe.

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yu were probably safe to give your details as long the person asking for it had the VM logo next to their name and the designation "Forum Team". They are VM staff. as for the res tof the reply you got - usual drivel. Just forget it and do what you have done. Put the phone down. I get these calls all the time.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
DomGMR97551
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

To try and put your mind at ease, the phone call you received sounds very much like a known scam whereby the caller would ask you to give them remote access to your computer enabling them to access personal data and or lock you out of your own computer and try to extort you. Never give remote access to anyone you are not 100% confident is genuine.

There are many technicians currently working from home answering issues on this forum most, if not all, including the person who previously replied asking for account details should have a Virgin Media logo next to there username designating they are a genuine employee.

Hope this helps quell any fears.

Regards

Dom

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Realnannysheila
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply.  I hope he did have the virgin logo beside him name.  I can no longer find the replies from him.  Anyway now I know !

0 Kudos
DomGMR97551
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I'm sure it is fine, it sounds like the generic response to any query as he would use your details to look into the performance of your equipment.

0 Kudos