Menu
Johnny1983
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 47
Flag for a moderator

Horizon 4 Rdk

Hey

Out of curiosity is virgin media sticking with tivo? I did hear that they'd renewed their tivo agreement until 2020. This year. The tv technical team over the phone did say the existing tivos ain't compatible with the horizon 4 Rdk platform 🤔 so is it just the v6 receivers getting the upgrade? I've read on the Internet that it's planned for 2nd half of this year. They apparently started the roll out October 2019. 

J.H
0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 47
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Horizon 4 Rdk

Hello

Only the V6 would be able to get Horizon platform as the Tivo doesn't have a capable processor, currently the UK V6's are still running Tivo platform, there  was a UK trail only.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Johnny1983
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 47
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Mike

I did read that the platform update to the v6 receivers started rolling out October 2019. The over phone TV tech team did say all equipment software & platforms are updated automatically every 4-6 weeks. My last update was 18th Feb this year. So I'm guessing my equipment would of been updated again since then?apparently they don't get told about any software & platform updates. 

J.H
0 Kudos
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 47
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Johnny1983 

Why are you asking the same question, over and over?

Horizon will come when it comes, probably delayed by Coronavirus.

I will guarantee that your V6 will still be running TiVo software at the end of this year.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

SpacePhoenix
Superfast
Message 5 of 47
Flag for a moderator

I'm hoping that Virgin send letters out to everyone who uses a Tivo box in good time. I've not got a Tivo but my parents have.

btw, are there any good videos on Youtube that I could watch to see what the Horizon 4 Rdk software is like?

Johnny1983
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 47
Flag for a moderator

Hey. 

If horizon 4 rdk is loaded onto our v6 tivos it will be the 2nd half of this year. July onwards apparently. According to information I've seen on the Internet. There's scepticism of whether it's going to be rolled out. Due to this current coronavirus situation. All we can do is wait and see if our v6 receive the update in the next month or so. As virgin customer service don't have any information. Apparently they don't get told of anyway software or firmware updates. They just happen 🤔

J.H
0 Kudos
SpacePhoenix
Superfast
Message 7 of 47
Flag for a moderator

That ties in then with the "retirement" of all the old boxes (any that aren't Tivos or V6s) as the old boxes will only be able to get BBC1, BBC2, ITV1, Channel 4 and Channel 5 from the 1st of July. Perhaps Virgin are switching some stuff behind the scenes on the 1st July that "retire" the old boxes and enable the install of the Horizon 4 Rdk software.

Johnny1983
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 47
Flag for a moderator

Your guess is as good as mine. 

There's no certainty whether virgin will get rid of tivo. As it's a good system. It's all guess work. As they never disclose any information. You only read rumours. 

J.H
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 9 of 47
Flag for a moderator

I'm expecting the switch to Horizon 4 to be done throughout 2021. I do not anticipate any problem in extending the agreement with TiVo for another year, after all for TiVo it's easy money for limited effort.

The issue is then what to do with the TiVos. This isn't trivial as there's about 1.3m of them and sooner or later they will have to be replaced. One issue which many of us are aware of is that the replacement box, be it a V6 or son of V6, will not have a DOCSIS modem and there are customers whose box is in a different room to their hub (or they don't have a hub).

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
SpacePhoenix
Superfast
Message 10 of 47
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

My gut feeling is that it'll be new customers, after whatever the initial roll-out date is that will get it first on their V6 boxes