Menu
Johnny1983
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Horizon 4 RDK

Hi.

Are you still planning to upgrade your existing Tivos & V6 boxes to horizon 4 Rdk firmeware?

I did find information from 2018 that you are planning to roll out the new firmware to your existing boxes. which was update back in february this year. The information did state your going to roll it out in the 2nd half of this year. which would be june. Is the horizon 4 rdk still happening?

J.H
0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Horizon 4 RDK

As I am sure you know VM never ever give advance notice of their commercial  intentions on this Community or anywhere else for that matter. And even if staff do know (which I doubt) they'd put their jobs at risk for disclosing commercially sensitive information.  And one last point. Do you honestly think at a time when this ISP is concentrating on keeping its network running and making sure that urgent installations and repairs are carried out that they would even consider rolling out such a major software upgrade now or in the relatively near future? I could be wrong, it is after all VM.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Johnny1983
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Youve got a good point Howard.

I am well aware that virgin are in the middle of a coronavirus crisis.

Obviously they are consentrating on keeping your network & tv channels operating in these tough times.

I am aware virgin roll out updates to their equipment every 4 to 6 weeks. So we never know. This horizon 4 rdk firmware could already be in the update roll out stage. As updates are done region by region. So fingers crossed it arrives soon.

My other question is. Ive just renewed my contract for another 12 months. Ive got a 12 month tivo credit applied. So my slight guess is tivo might be staying for good? So im wondering if the horizon 4 rdk could be running in the back ground in our v6 & tivos receivers? Their was no mention of the tivo firmware been scrapped when i spoke to a lady and renewed my contract the other day. So who knows what their plans are?

J.H
0 Kudos
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Horizon is not being rolled out at present.

Horizon will not run on TiVo.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Johnny1983
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Ok. Thank you for confirming this. I had I feeling it wouldnt be rolled out. As I've just renewed my contract for another 12 month which includes a TiVo credit. So I'm guessing virgin have decided to stick with TiVo. I'm guessing customers would need a new receiver for horizon 4 rdk? 

J.H
0 Kudos
nmcilveen2016
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

In the Republic of Ireland, Virgin Media uses the horizon platform, this was also the platform used by the legacy brand that virgin media took over called UPC. Virgin media where non exsistant in southern ireland up until the takeover of UPC only a few years ago previously, Virgin Media also took over Irelands TV3 which is now called Virgin 3, with the state broadcasting service RTE 1 & 2 being just below.

Northern Ireland is uses the Tivo platform in uniform with the rest of the United Kingdom.

Having lived on both sides of the irish border, I personally prefer the UK Tivo platform, although being from Belfast, that is the one im most used to. Horizon is basically more like a dressed up version of BT's youview.

Interestingly enough, Vodafone also operate a subscription set top box service in the Republic of Ireland, but they have decided against it for their UK market due to "profitability" reasons, which is quite strange.

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The Horizon used in Eire is old and not the one that will be implemented in the UK.

Look to Belgium (and Switzerland, I think) for the version which will come to the UK.

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2019/04/26/telenet-belgium-launches-horizon-4-platform/

0 Kudos
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2018/09/19/liberty-global-rolls-out-next-gem-horizon-set-tops-featur...

0 Kudos