Menu
willvz1972
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

HDMI handshaking issue between V6 and Sony TV

I have a V6 digiBox connected to a Sony 4K TV. Ordinarily, this is a happy marriage and everything works perfectly. However, problems occur if, upon finishing watching TV, I leave it on standby mode.

Upon restarting the TV, it fails to handshake properly with the V6 box and reds and greens colours in the picture  are not properly displayed. In order to cure this, I have found that it’s necessary to temporarily put the V6 box into standby mode. Having to do this every time I watch TV is very annoying. 

I have tried altering the display settings within the V6 settings menu but this has no effect. I have also replaced the HDMI cable I’m using to connect the TV to the box with a high end cable and switching from HDMI 1 to 2 (my TV has two HDMI ports), but this also makes no difference.

can anyone help? 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: HDMI handshaking issue between V6 and Sony TV

Probably not if its a compatibility isue, can your tvs firmware be updated?

0 Kudos
willvz1972
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The TV has it’s most up to date firmware. 

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi willvz1972,

Thanks for your post. Sorry to hear that your experiencing some frustration with your display issue. It is a strange one and certainly nothing I've come across before.

Have you been able to check your V6 box through another TV to see if you have the same issue? I appreciate this may not be the easiest thing to try, but it would help us to understand where the issue is coming from.

Do you have this issue on other TV sources or just with the V6?

Many thanks,

Beth

0 Kudos
willvz1972
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I have subsequently discovered that it is an HDCP compliance issue which I have cured by buying one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Switch-iSolem-Splitter-Input-Output-Black/dp/B006KZBC92/ref=sxts_sxwds-bia-...

The fix can be learnt about here:

https://youtu.be/Bn5IiR5s_yQ

As sure as night following day and flies liking dog **bleep**, nobody at Virgin knew about this issue (including the engineer they sent out to my home in an effort to fix it) 

Yet more evidence that Virgin really aren’t the knowledgeable and honest company they purport to be.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
willvz1972
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Incidentally, my TV has up-to-date firmware. 

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi willvz1972,

Thanks for coming back to let us know, I am happy to hear you were able to resolve the issue.

Sadly, we can't guarantee that our equipment will be compatible with any devices and third party equipment. The solution to some compatibility issues may include the use of other third party equipment, and if that's the case, we won't always know about it because it's not a Virgin product. Despite this, we will always do our best to help and do everything we can to troubleshoot and resolve any issue. 

If you need anything else just let us know.

Many thanks,

Beth

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Virgin are not allowed to promote a device that breaks HDCP encryption, they would get fined a fortune if they did

willvz1972
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I would be *a lot* happier if just about *anyone* within Virgin knew about the HDCP issue and it didn’t require me to engage in further addition expense - that is having to buy an HDMI splitter - to resolve.

It’s beyond pathetic that no one, but no one within your technical department that I spoke to him over the phone (the Indians that you employ to work in call centres were about as helpful and useful as chocolate fire guard), and the engineer that you sent out to my home knew *anything* about this. Indeed the comments from Virgin personnel on this forum demonstrate that you don’t know anything about it. To add insult to injury, the engineer even had the audacity to tell me I needed to buy a new TV!

HDCP compliance is a known issue in the workd of Digital Rights management and is known to affect a great deal of modern digital equipment that uses HDMI cables to connect said equipment, so why the F don’t you guys know *anything* about it? 

PATHETIC AND APPALLING!

Thank god for YouTube and the Internet. I would never have resolved this had a search on google not actually yielded the answer I sought. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos