Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Green screen DVR serious issue

I've got the green screen of death. Tivo box keeps trying to reboot. This happened a while back and it fixed itself, now it's happened again. I've turned it off and on again. No joy. Was on hold for 10 minutes and had to hang up because the music is so bad, no one is answering on the chat box either. Virgin Media put my monthly bill up to 54 quid this month. No service now, just a big bill. Do I have to  pay for this? Help!

0 Kudos
Community elder
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Green screen DVR serious issue

Hi SarahBaber,

The green screen means your hard drive has failed, and you need a replacement box.

Have you tried signing into Service status at the top of this page and run a test against the TV box? By doing this VM will should be able to send a signal to your box, it won't be able to repair it but may automatically book a replacement

If that doesn't work then unfortunately you need to contact the Faults team. 

You should call  150 from a Virgin landline, or 0345 454 1111, options 1,1 and 2 (Faultsbut best to call at 8am to avoid call queues

With  a little luck the system will see that you've tried the online tests and self help and pass you through to an agent

Otherwise you will go through a series of questions/tests, which probably won't solve the problem 😞  If that happens then call back around 10 minutes later and an agent should pick the phone up.

You could try the text messaging service. Just send  a text with a description of TV Faults to 07533 051809. Your message will go into a queue and a representative will respond to you as soon as possible. It may take a few days. 

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Day 2 with no service. The call centres are not answering and the online chat likewise. Check service status is pointless - it's saying my service is working when I can see the green screen with my own eyes. I sent a message to 07533 051809 describing my problem and asking for a new Tivo box. No acknowledgement, nothing. I don't know if I'm in a queue, or there is a box on the way, nothing. This is very poor service. I appreciate the answer to my question, but it's a really bad way to treat people.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I can only suggest you keep persisting with the call queues. Many people have reported success after approximately 20minutes, and whilst I won't try to excuse excess wait times, if my TV service was dead I'd tolerate whatever musak was thrown at me to get it resolved....

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Day 3 no reply or acknowledgement from my messages. Going to try customer services at 8 am. I do have to go to work though. That empty green screen monster ain't gonna pay for itself. Customer service is very bad. I'm going to need some compensation for this. It's probably cheaper to pay compensation than it is to employ people and give good service. Great business model Virgin Media.

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Day 3 - ha ha, tried the number provided. They tried some tests and everything is fine! Then the automated service hung up. Hahhahaha. Now recalling. You have to call a second time. The automated system knows you called the first time. Finally got on to someone who helped. I also asked for credit for the days I did not receive service - this includes any day up to the day a new box arrives. Phew. It's just not great service.

Took £5 'goodwill' credit for loss of service. FYI there is no compensation for my time. I probably spent 6 hours sorting out a problem I didn't create. Everybody else got paid, but I didn't!  It's called business to customer (B2C) cost externalisation and is a conscious, considered and methodological transfer of costs from the business to their clients. Check out how you pay more in time for your subscription than you think - if stuff goes wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_externalizing#:~:text=Cost%20externalizing%20is%20a%20socioeconom...

0 Kudos
Community elder
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi SarahBaber,

Thanks for the update, it's a battle but pleased to see you are receiving a replacement box.

The replacement will need activating, hopfefully ti will be done automatically, so here's some info to help with that process if needed.

VM have recently started pre-activating their equipment, and the box should call "home" and be activated within 30 minutes, however sometimes this fails and the advice is to sign into Service status at the top of this page and run a test against the TV box you are installing.(I know)  By doing this VM should be able to reboot the box or put you in touch with the right team.

The old method ( which still works) was to reboot the TIVO and if the channels are still greyed out, error 7400 etc then you need to phone 0800 953 9500 to get your box activated.  You will need the box serial number, and your account and area number.

If the above fails then you could also try contacting  New accounts and Set Up for them to complete the setup and activation.

That would be options 1,1,1 and 4 if dialling 150 from a Virgin landline , or options 1,1,2 and 4  if dialling 0345 4541111 from any other phone

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi SarahBaber,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm very sorry to hear about the issue you've been having with the Tv box. 

I have taken a look on our side and it looks as though you have had a new box. 

Has this all been resolved for you now?

^Martin

0 Kudos