Menu
JJarvis
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Frequent 602, C130, and N27 errors when watching catch-up and on-demand on our TiVo box.

Hi all,

My parents have been having this problem on our box when watching the occasional Catch-Up and On-Demand programme for a long time - likely over a year. They have recently been watching this kind of content much more, and the frequency with which they get the errors has been understandably frustrating.

The problem:

About once every hour or so, the programme they are watching will stop, and give the error:

"This show is temporarily unavailable". It has the code "602".

When I click OK to dismiss the error, we are kicked out of catch-up/on demand and into live television. Bringing up the "home" menu shows that all network features (e.g. the small advertisement cards for shows) are unavailable.

Exploring network features/settings further gives the error:

"There was a problem connecting to the Virgin Media Service. (C130)"

When I select "Test my connection" from the error message screen, the connection test gives an exclamation/error mark at the first "Preparing" stage, and shows "(Network cable unplugged.)"

When I select "Press OK for more information" from this screen, the "Connection Problem" screen gives the error:

"There is a problem with the network. The ethernet cable is unplugged. (N27)

Make sure the network cable is securely connected to both the router and the ethernet port on the back of the TiVo Box."

This is an older TiVo box (from the info menu: "Platform": SMT-C7100, "Hardware Version": 4.0) which uses the coax cable for these services, not an ethernet cable, but I've checked the tightness of the cables which it does use and these are fine at all ends.

Within 5 minutes, the error resolves itself and content is again viewable, but another error is not far away.

Testing:

I have put it to the test today to learn for sure:

1) whether it is just one service,

2) how frequent it really is, and

3) whether rebooting - the only fix shown in VM's help pages - works.

Below is a timeline:

10:30: I begin watching several thumbed-up, non-recorded, episodes from "My Shows", which all stream from UKTV Play.

11:28: A show stops 14 minutes in, showing the 602 error. There is a problem with the network, as described above.

11:33: After waiting a short while, the connection is back, and I continue watching the shows from UKTV Play.

12:50: A show stops 10 minutes in, showing the 602 error. There is a problem with the network, as described above.

12:53: I turn the box off, wait several seconds, and turn it back on.

13:00: Box is fully booted.

13:13: I begin watching a different show from the "On Demand" menu, which streams from ITV Player.

13:30: The show stops 17 minutes in, showing the 602 error. There is a problem with the network, as described above.

Further info:

There are no Broadband, TV, or Phone errors on the service status page. The Internet coming from our Super Hub is absolutely fine at these times, and there are no errors in the Network Log at these times. Aside from a couple of brief outages last month, our internet connection has been perfectly stable at full speed for a long time now.

I know these connections are separate in some way, but I just want to get across that it is not related to our general connection or a temporary area problem - it's solely to do with the TV.

Thanks in advance for your help.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Frequent 602, C130, and N27 errors when watching catch-up and on-demand on our TiVo box.

Some excellent troubleshooting there!

The old TiVo box has an inbuilt modem that shares the same physical cable as your TV signal - you've not mentioned that there are any issues with your live TV, so I'm assuming that's all good.

On that basis... the only other thing I would check is that when your VOD program crashes out, does the green "heartbeat" light (middle green light on the front-left of the box) flash - this would indicate a dropped connection. I suspect it does.

You really have 2 choices:

1: Proceed down the faults route - call TV Faults on 150 (or 0345 4541111) and seek either an engineer visit or box-swap. It's clear you need one of the two.

2: You've mentioned that you have VM broadband - if you've had your package more than a while, then consider going down the "regrade" route, try to negotiate a new bundle/package and a swapout to the newer V6 box as part of the bargain.

VM Forum staff do work their way through posts on here, but it can take a few days and they won't be able to assist if you choose the second option. That's the way I'd go (personally), but it's your choice...

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

JJarvis
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Frequent 602, C130, and N27 errors when watching catch-up and on-demand on our TiVo box.

Hi, japitts,

Thank you for the very helpful reply!

The live TV service is good, and I've just confirmed that the light does indeed flash when the on demand programmes crash.

I hoped there might be a way to fix it without calls (my mother did try once or twice, but gave up due to the long - understandably long, given circumstances - wait) and engineer visits, but if that's out of the question then I'll wait for a few working days to see if a VM staff member can help on here (where its easier to get across exactly what's wrong) and then give one of those routes a go.

Renegotiating has probably been a long time coming, even without this issue.

Do you know if there's a particularly good time to call for either of those routes? Would calling near the beginning or end of the day's service hours be better or is there no real difference?

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi JJarvis,

The best time to call, no matter what reason, is around 8am when lines first open as it's least busy then.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@JJarvis wrote:

Hi, japitts,

Thank you for the very helpful reply!

The live TV service is good, and I've just confirmed that the light does indeed flash when the on demand programmes crash.

I hoped there might be a way to fix it without calls (my mother did try once or twice, but gave up due to the long - understandably long, given circumstances - wait) and engineer visits, but if that's out of the question then I'll wait for a few working days to see if a VM staff member can help on here (where its easier to get across exactly what's wrong) and then give one of those routes a go.

If I were in your shoes, I'd be in two minds! Ordinarily, calling C/S would get you an immediate response and your problem progressed while you're on the phone. But you've done some excellent troubleshooting, and waiting on here a bit longer could mean not having to repeat yourself.

It depends, I guess, how keen you are to have this resolved sooner vs "easiest". TiVos dropping their internet connection once or twice can often be resolved by a manual forced connection or single call to TV faults - but like most digital-TV faults, if it's recurring time & again, that's something else awry.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks