Menu
jglavery
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Films On Demand errors - errors connecting make it unusable

We have had problems for probably the last year now watching films on demand. They will start playing, and then at random times stop playing with an error saying that the media server cannot be contacted - often with error code C130.

All the online help and the suggestions on the box suggest checking connections and rebooting the box. We have done this numerous times.

Rebooting seems to solve the problem for a time (minimum 8 minutes, up to 30 minutes). But then it recurs. 

Edit - forgot to say, checking service status reveals that 'all services are fine'.

We have just had to give up watching a film which we've paid for because of this error.

A Virgin staff member, when discussing this in conjunction with (unrelated) broadband modem problems, admitted that "There is an ongoing problem with serving On Demand movies".

When is this going to be fixed?

At the least I want a refund on my recently purchased film, and really should be getting a refund on the Movies On Demand aspect of my subscription - it's been effectively unusable for months.

I need a response from a Virgin staff member. Right now I'm considering cancelling my subscription and sticking with Netflix.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Films On Demand errors - errors connecting make it unusable

@jglavery wrote:

A Virgin staff member, when discussing this in conjunction with (unrelated) broadband modem problems, admitted that "There is an ongoing problem with serving On Demand movies".

Without having been party to that conversation, it's hard to comment further but it sounds suitably vague as to be (probably) nonsense. If there was an ongoing problem, this board would be absolutely chock full of complaints.

You've not said which TV box you have - whether it's a TiVo or a V6? Check here if you're not sure, and further advice can follow.

You've also not mentioned whether non-cinema OnDemand programmes play ok, say (non-BBC) catchup programmes? Again - if you're not sure, try it and report back.

As regards your "On Demand aspect" of your subscription, there's no such thing. OnDemand is classed as an inclusive element of your VM-TV subscription, it's not charged separately, and therefore you are extremely unlikely to get any credit for this not working. Just assistance in making it work.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
jglavery
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the response.

Yes, I agree that if there was 'an ongoing problem' there would be scores of complaints!

It's a TiVo box.

No On Demand services work when the error occurs, not just Movies. 

Note that I've just had the error occur again, and without restarting the box the error resolved itself. This is the first time I've seen it resolve without restarting.

"On Demand" part of my subscription - yes, I suspected as much (haven't checked the details of the package contract recently).

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

As I suspected, but assumption is the mother etc.

Many issues with OnDemand on TiVo boxes are caused by the on-board internet failing, rendering the box offline.

On the front-left of your TiVo are a series of green lights. Second from left is the "heartbeat"/online light which indicates your box's internet status. Solidly on is good, flashing is bad.

When you have issues with VOD dropping, is this light flashing by any chance?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
jglavery
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@japitts wrote:

As I suspected, but assumption is the mother etc.

Many issues with OnDemand on TiVo boxes are caused by the on-board internet failing, rendering the box offline.

On the front-left of your TiVo are a series of green lights. Second from left is the "heartbeat"/online light which indicates your box's internet status. Solidly on is good, flashing is bad.

When you have issues with VOD dropping, is this light flashing by any chance?

Thanks for the tip!

Just left a film playing while I get on with work - and it's failed with error C130 again. Yes, the heartbeat light is flashing.

So this implies that the onboard internet card is failing.

Sounds like I need a replacement box.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I'd agree with that. Recommend you call VM Faults on the normal number, but I would recommend using some "buzzword bingo".

Rather than mention "some on-demand programmes drop", being specific about the TiVo's online-light flashing should help elicit the required outcome.

jglavery
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Indeed - a good point. I work in the software industry - phrasing the problem the right way should lead to the solution/diagnosis we want!

0 Kudos
jglavery
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I now have an engineer booked to visit this coming Saturday.
0 Kudos
jglavery
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

So the engineer fitted a new TV box which is definitely running better than the old one. 

However, we're still getting some buffering and occasional errors when watching On Demand. I think this must be due to our broadband connection (On Demand is provided via WiFi, not the TV coax).

I've run a Broadband Quality Monitor for the past few days, and a typical day looks like this:

BQM for 28th January 

This is a typical work day with me working from home, streaming radio and doing nothing intensive on the computers. Seems to be a lot of latency, or is the amount here 'acceptable'?

Should I post the above in the Broadband forums?

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@jglavery wrote:

So the engineer fitted a new TV box which is definitely running better than the old one. 

Good news.

@jglavery wrote:

Should I post the above in the Broadband forums?

Yes - let's keep one thread to one problem, and save confusing things wherever possible 😉

0 Kudos