Menu
Johnny1983
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Feedback from the V6 & Tivos

Hi 

Do you get fault reports from your V6 & Tivos?

I'm just curious if you get feedback letting you know of any equipment faults?

J.H
0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Feedback from the V6 & Tivos

Virgin get warnings if a piece of network equipment fails in their street cabinets, but they do not directly monitor anything in your house. If you believe you have a fault, they can interrogate your equipment with your permission, but otherwise no, it is not monitored.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Johnny1983
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

How do i give virgin media permission to monitor my equipment for faults ?  That way they can fix a fault before I ring them? 

J.H
0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi there @Johnny1983

Are you having any issues that we need to check and monitor for you? 

We do have systems that keep track of your equipment and will store data from the last 7, 14, 28 days that we can look back on if needed - but it would be impossible for someone to actively monitor each individual account and each individual piece of equipment for any potential faults. 

As @nodrogd advised, we do monitor our areas and if a known issue is located, this will be raised and dealt with without the need for you to contact us. 

However, if you are having any issues with your services, you would need to contact us so we can check this for you and go through various diagnostic checks with you directly.

Hope that helps. 

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Johnny1983
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Katie 

That's good to know.

I am having problems with my Samsung tivo crashing and freezing every evening when my grandparents are watching movies etc. They had to shut it down last night. I turned it back on this morning. Got an engineer booked to assess it tomorrow afternoon. If you can monitor my equipment for faults. That would be helpful. Also is rebooting my equipment every thursday evening unnecessary? I do a reboot once a week. Every Thursday evening before I go to sleep. 

J.H
0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi there @Johnny1983

Cheers for popping back - sorry that your TiVo was having some issues; glad to understand that you have a technician booked to come and take a closer look for you though. As this is the case, there is no need to monitor it from here at the moment. 

You don't need to reboot it once a week but it won't do any harm - I can't remember the last time I rebooted mine! We tend to send updates to the box between midnight and 5am so it's always best to have it on over night so it can accept any updates. 

Keep us posted with how the visit goes tomorrow 🙂 

Thanks

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Johnny1983
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for getting back to me Katie 🙂. I will let you know how I get on with engineer visit. After he's been tomorrow afternoon.

Thank you for the advice. I won't reboot my equipment anymore. I'm guessing my equipment will reboot automatically as and when it detects a problem?

J.H
0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It can do yes, @Johnny1983 - you will find that when it has any updates, it will reboot itself; this is why we sent them sporadically during the night so as to avoid any distruption!

Hope all goes well tomorrow. 

Cheers 🙂 

Katie - Forum Team

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Johnny1983 wrote:

How do i give virgin media permission to monitor my equipment for faults ?  That way they can fix a fault before I ring them? 

They are allowed to do this ONCE when you contact them (usually while you are on the phone). The same goes for the Forum Team. Continuous monitoring would use up resources. Could you imagine the army of people required to do this should even a few thousand, let alone VMs 6 million customer base decided they wanted their equipment monitoring.

There is also the question of customer protection. I'm not sure VM or any other company has continuous permission to monitor this type of equipment. Smart meters are one thing, but relating to TV & Broadband equipment could be seen as "snooping".

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Johnny1983
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Katie 

A technician called Simon swapped out my old Samsung tivo for the shiny new v6 yesterday afternoon. He was very friendly and polite. His service was excellent. He was very tidy as well. I went onto your manage my tivo website to copy my wishlists and series links from my old samsung tivo to my new v6. I did the request at about 1530 pm yesterday afternoon. As of 12:26 pm today. They still haven't arrived on my new v6. I did speak to your technical faults team. The guy went through to your 2nd line. He said they can't see any reason why they won't copy across. Apparently theres no area faults that would stop them transferring. 

J.H
0 Kudos