Menu
cambslufcfan
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Faulty Tivo Box

My father's tivo box needs replacing. Picture distorts every 2-3 weeks and a reset helps this but this pattern has been occuring for the past 3 months.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Faulty Tivo Box

Not sure what you mean by the picture distorting - do you mean pixellating and breaking up? Is that on live TV, OnDemand, or with recorded programmes?

Depending what the symptoms are, and when it happens - it may be the box, or it may be something else.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
cambslufcfan
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

The picture does pixelate and breaks up on live tv, my father does not use catchup etc.

Like I have said, We have been monitoring this for the past 3 months and I have to reset the box every 2-3 weeks.

In the household there are 3 tivo boxes in total but my father's box is the only one that seems to be faulty.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@cambslufcfan wrote:

In the household there are 3 tivo boxes in total but my father's box is the only one that seems to be faulty.

Can you try swapping one of the boxes around. That will prove the fault between the TiVo and the internal cabling. Then you can either report via phone (on the usual 150 number) or wait on here for VM staff to pick it up (may be a day or so)

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
cambslufcfan
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I don't see why we have to swap boxes around when we pay an awful lot of money every month for this service. Plus we have been monitoring this issue for 3 months or more now and I feel that this is long enough. A new tivo box is required, if that fails then it must be down to internal cabling.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

What you pay really shouldn't matter, it's just an extra check you can do that may help prevent equipment being replaced unnecessarily and/or avoid an engineer visit (with Covid implications)

If this can be resolved in one attempt by a user check that will take less time than an a potential tech visit, I'd personally see that as a potential time saver and it was only a suggestion to help expedite the fix. You say that you've been monitoring the issue for 3months, but have you reported it to VM in that time, or have you only raised it now?

But hey.... I'm not VM staff, they may see it differently, nothing more I can add here.

0 Kudos
Paulina_Z
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi @cambslufcfan,

Welcome back to our Community Forum! Thank you for your post!

I'm sorry to hear that your father's TV is experiencing quite a lot of picture issues! Have you taken a look at our online TV diagnostics that we have available? Please take a look to see if this will help navigate your father's issue. 

Have you been able to complete the check that @japitts suggested? We think this would be a great idea to check if this is an equipment fault or a wiring issue. 

Can you let us know if this issue has been raised on your father's account at all in the past three months? Please keep us updated on this so we can see what we can do to help.

Thanks!

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
cambslufcfan
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Paulina,

We are unable to try and swap other boxes around as other users rely on the hard drive of the individual boxes for recorded viewing etc.

This issue has not been recorded or raised until now because my father wanted to see if we could resolve it first. Unfortunately after 3 months nothing has changed therefore I have raised this fault now.

Kind Regards

Pete

0 Kudos
Paulina_Z
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi @cambslufcfan,

Thank you for getting back to me about this and updating me on the issue. 

As this is about your father's account, I will need to send you a Private Message to discuss this further. Please keep an eye out for a purple envelope at the top right of your forum page.

I will be in touch soon to look into this.

Thanks,

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@cambslufcfan wrote:

We are unable to try and swap other boxes around as other users rely on the hard drive of the individual boxes for recorded viewing etc.

Just by means of an FYI - if you're in a position to connect the TiVo's by Ethernet cable to your homehub, you can stream recordings "multiroom" between them.