Menu
Abrahs
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Failure to Update Guide information

Why can’t Virgin update the channel guide when programmes change? It’s over a day since the Duke died and still the original programmes appear in the Guide. Freeserve manage it why not Virgin? 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Failure to Update Guide information

I would imagine that when you say "Freeserve", you mean "Freeview"?....

Sky & Freeview are a completely different setup to VM, all have their pros & cons - but just on a point of order, the reverse EPG on my V6 does show "BBC News specials" throughout last night. I think an update was pushed out late last night, that at least corrected the reverse EPG for the evening slots. That wasn't the case around 5pm, but was inplace by 10.30 or so.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The VM programme guide isn't dynamic and only updates a few times per day.  They are reliant on their metadata supplier for accurate information.

As japitts commented the guide for yesterday was retrospectively updated and was then accurate for the BBC until early this afternoon.  Unfortunately retrospective updates are no help at all for planned recordings.

Interesting that the VM TV GO app programme guide has been updated but not the broadcast TV guide.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Just on the point of planned recordings too - if you had anything "new" scheduled to record last night that got dropped, then the subsequent rescheduling should have a corrected "first aired date" which will be sufficient for series links to pick up the amended showing.

I seem to vaguely recall that TV-Go is updated separately to the STB's EPG.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@japitts Sadly that didn't work as the programmes were not dropped by the VM guide in time.  As an example Gardeners World was dropped yesterday but shown this evening at 8pm on BBC Two.  As this wasn't reflected in the VM TV guide it didn't automatically record.

In this particular case I had set a manual record having seen the updated schedule via the BBC iPlayer.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

0 Kudos
newapollo
Hero
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I rebooted my 360 around 8.30pm and the EPG guide had updated

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@newapollo wrote:

I rebooted my 360 around 8.30pm and the EPG guide had updated

Having just checked the settings on my V6 the programme guide updated at 22.43, too late for any earlier scheduled recordings.

Edit to add that I had initiated an update via the settings menu several times over the previous six hours or so.   This latest update was automatic.

Further edit.  Whilst the retrospective schedule for BBC2 has been corrected BBC1 is still showing the wrong programme guide for early evening.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Graham_A wrote:

@japitts Sadly that didn't work as the programmes were not dropped by the VM guide in time.  As an example Gardeners World was dropped yesterday but shown this evening at 8pm on BBC Two.

I think that's a subtly different issue Graham.

Looking at the EPG tonight, Gardeners World shows as first-aired 9th April - this looks like a copy & paste from Friday, whereas the date should have been amended to the 10th, and the SL would have picked this up.

The other point is the TiVo/V6's 6-hourly update cycle runs on different timings to the EPG data being loaded at VM's end. I forced an update at 7.30 or so and it hadn't been corrected, so my box defaulted to a 10.30pm regular update - it sounds like the data was corrected certainly by 9pm.

Fortunately it's extremely rare that such things are an issue.

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

A subtle difference or not it messes up planned recordings..

Unfortunately it hasn't been that rare, especially over the last twelve months of the pandemic, where the BBC schedules have been regularly changed at the last minute for Downing Street press conferences. 

Admittedly the exceptional news circumstances of the last 36 hours have not helped.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ah yes... the many occasions when the BBC never confirmed the 5pm broadcast on their own website until mid-afternoon in some cases.

The occasions when it spills over into peak times tend to be reserved for Wimbledon fortnight... my personal pet hate.

0 Kudos