cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FAST channels not avaialbe to TV-only customers?

Rillington
Up to speed

I see that VM has launched 14 new channels but the press release suggests that these channels are not being provided to TV-only customers who have the Tivo boxes. I was wondering if this is true and if so, why channels available on the EPG are not being made available to TV-only customers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Joseph_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey @Rillington

Welcome back to the Community Forums and thanks for the post.

The new FAST channels are provided over the Internet rather than the TV line itself, for this reason TiVo cannot get this service as it can be operated without an Internet connection. Therefor as a TV only customer these channels would not be provided out to you as they would not work on your current set up. If you would like to look into upgrading your box do let me know and I can discuss this with you.

joe

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

No developments have been done on the TiVo for quite some time, and it's a matter of time until it enters end-of-life status.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Joseph_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey @Rillington

Welcome back to the Community Forums and thanks for the post.

The new FAST channels are provided over the Internet rather than the TV line itself, for this reason TiVo cannot get this service as it can be operated without an Internet connection. Therefor as a TV only customer these channels would not be provided out to you as they would not work on your current set up. If you would like to look into upgrading your box do let me know and I can discuss this with you.

joe

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

These are not broadcast channels, rather the hidden zFast app is launched when you press the red button to get stored content via network. As I said, no developments are being done on TiVo boxes, so no FAST.

--

Thank you for both replies.

Thank you for the offer of discussing me getting a newer set-top box but I have to politely decline, for several reasons.

First, I believe that customers are unable to get a new box unless they pay for VM's internet connection and I am contracted to another internet provider.

Also, I now won't touch a Virgin Media contract with a bargepole due to the current terms which allow VM to impose a mid-contract price increase which means I don't know how much I would pay for the duration of any contract.

In addition, I believe that a new contract would now make me liable for charges of well in excess of £1,000 should anything mean, that for whatever reason, I could not continue to have Virgin Media services. Previously, the highest amount was I believe around £288.

As you rightly speculate Roger, one does get the feeling that it is almost end-of-life time for Tivo boxes and therefore for TV-only customers and at some point, I am expecting a letter which will likely say that the only way to continue to have Virgin Media television services is to pay for VM's internet service and that if a customer was to decline, VM would see this as a breach of contact and therefore force customers to pay potentially well in excess of £1,000, depending on the TV channels they have and how many months they still have left on their contract. I am not going to put myself in this position.

I fear that my time as a customer of Virgin Media is close to coming to an end.

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

I don't know where you got the figure of £1,000 but it's way more than anything I've ever seen. You might get a good deal at the end of your contract by signing up for VM's broadband and TV.

I believe you can migrate to a V6 as a TV-only customer with VM supplying a hub which functions only to provide the network connectivity required by the V6. I also believe that this is not offered to new customers, and if you jumped ship to BT TV you will be required to subscribe to BT's broadband.

--

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

I don't know where you got the figure of £1,000 but it's way more than anything I've ever seen. You might get a good deal at the end of your contract by signing up for VM's broadband and TV.

I believe you can migrate to a V6 as a TV-only customer with VM supplying a hub which functions only to provide the network connectivity required by the V6. I also believe that this is not offered to new customers, and if you jumped ship to BT TV you will be required to subscribe to BT's broadband.

No, that is not possible. TV customers must pay for Broadband to retain their TV services now if taking a V6 or V360. A locked-out hub is provided to Landline only customers for 21CV migration, but that's about it.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

To add, TiVo's that develop faults are now replaced with V6 as a matter of course.

VM haven't sold TV-only packages for some time now. From recollection, it's only Sky that allows you to use their TV services over another provider's broadband.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

If you do not agree to being forcibly migrated to a V6 (with broadband) presumably you can leave VM without penalty.

--

I believe that VM contracts are 18 months so if a customer leaves, for whatever reason, two months into their contract they have 16 months remaining so if they pay £100/month for their services, then VM would come after them for £1,600 - 100x16.