Menu
swannieone
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Error message S101

Hi, we have 4 boxes, 2 of the smaller V6 and 2 of the larger Tivo.  The smaller box in the living room is working perfectly, however, the 3 boxes which are upstairs do not appear to be able to locate the channels.  When we click on home and go to all channels, a bar comes up trying to load the channels in.  The smaller box gets stuck on 16% and the two larger boxes get stuck on 25%.  We have brought the boxes down and plugged them into the main connection and they all work fine, have checked all the connections and they all seem fine too.  We can watch recorded programmes, can access the lounge box recorded programmes from upstairs and watch Netflix and Prime.  We called Virgin Media and the agent said he is sending boosters out but after reading online that this was given to others as a solution and didn't work, I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice please?  

Thanks in advance 🙂

0 Kudos
swannieone
Tuning in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo box not working, stuck on 25% preparing channels

We have three boxes upstairs and one downstairs.  Two of the upstairs are the Tivo boxes and one the V6 but all three are having the same issue!  So annoying.  I saw on one post that they said to check the coax cables running from the main socket to the box, done all that and nothing!  We have plugged the upstairs box into the downstairs connections and it works fine, thinking it has to be either a break in a lead or connection problem?

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Error message S101

@swannieone  I've merged your duplicate posts into one 🙂

Without knowing whether it's your TiVo or V6 that have problems, then this is general advice...

The TiVo's need one connection - the coax that carries TV channels and the internet (for OnDemand). If you're using multiroom streaming, they'll have Ethernet to your homehub too.

V6's need the coax for live TV, and the internet via your homehub (Ethernet or WiFi) for OnDemand and also multiroom streaming.

If problems follow the boxes when you swap them round, that would tend to suggest the boxes have problems.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

swannieone
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi japitts and thanks so much for your reply and help.  

We have a V6 box downstairs and a hub 3, that is all working perfectly.  In our bedroom we have a V6 and in 2 of our childrens rooms we have a Tivo box in each.  All three of the boxes upstairs are having the same problem.  The V6 box is stuck loading channels at 16% and the 2 Tivo boxes are stuck on 25%.  We have had all of the boxes for a few years but find it strange that all 3 boxes would fail with the same problem at the same time.  Also, we have brought the V6 box down and connected it to the downstairs cables and it works fine.

We contacted Virgin who have said they are sending a wired booster out and this should resolve it, however, after reading some similar posts to see if there was a solution for this problem, we aren't confident!

As you say, the coax cable is needed for the live channels, so with this being the problem with the channels not loading in, could this be a cause?  May I also ask, we have a plug, it's an AC adaptor that a coax cable connects to and then connects to the box on the wall where the main cables from outside come in.  What is this for please?  I ask as when it is disconnected, it makes no difference to the box downstairs or any upstairs and wondering if this could also be causing a problem as it must be there for something!

Thanks in advance and again, thanks for your reply.

Kind regards

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It's certainly odd for multiple boxes to fail with similar symptoms at the same time, this would ordinarily suggest some commonality.

@swannieone wrote:

Also, we have brought the V6 box down and connected it to the downstairs cables and it works fine.

This would tend to suggest a problem with the internal cabling, it's possible that the "wired booster" is a thinly veiled reference to attenuators, but they would be fitted by VM engineers and certainly not something that can be done by self-serve methods. They might mean WiFi boosters, but that won't do anything for the TV signals and just affect the WiFi signal strength where it's otherwise weak.

@swannieone wrote:

As you say, the coax cable is needed for the live channels, so with this being the problem with the channels not loading in, could this be a cause?  May I also ask, we have a plug, it's an AC adaptor that a coax cable connects to and then connects to the box on the wall where the main cables from outside come in.  What is this for please? 

Can you take a picture of this and upload it?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

swannieone
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi japitts and thanks again for your reply, really very much appreciated.  It is a wifi booster that they are sending out and have said will 'fix all of the issues'.  I just can't see it myself neither.

These are the pictures of the plug.  The box which Virgin fitted on the wall inside has 2 cables coming from it, both white.  One goes to a splitter and connects to the V6 box and the hub that we have downstairs and the other wire connects to the plug I mentioned, which then plugs into the wall socket.  Not sure what this does as unplugging it makes no difference to the boxes up or downstairs!

Thanks in advance again, getting nowhere with Virgin!

81274929-6cc1-44e8-8bda-f7317e351476.JPG8e26feb4-4c5c-4ff9-9dab-c0ed9a105981.JPG

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
swannieone
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi, just wanted to post an update to the S101 problem we were having.  After a week of phone calls to VM, wifi boosters being sent out and plugged in which did nothing as we expected, an agent eventually agreed for an engineer to call out.  One came last night and said he felt it was the unit in the external box, I think he said the HDMI unit but didn't have one with him to install.  He arranged for another engineer today and all the upstairs boxes (1 V6 and 2 TiVo's) are back on after this external unit was fitted.  Just wanted to let everyone know how ours was solved in case it helps you too!

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for posting back with an update 🙂

0 Kudos