Menu
Glenroy2368
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Error code N17 rebooted TIVO

I have lost count I have rebooted TIVO box, and set up fails on connecting. All wires are connected properly, and boosters all lights are showing steady. Has anyone any suggestions? WIFI is third party and the router has been checked out by them for correct ports set up.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Error code N17 rebooted TIVO

Do you have a TiVo or a V6? If unsure, you can check here 

The TiVo's internet connection is hard-wired, whereas the V6 relies on a connection to your homehub, hence slightly different advice on resolving connectivity issues.

If you have a TiVo and one reboot has failed to get you connected, then your next port of call is Virgin CS to "report a fault with your TV service". If it's a V6, then there's possibly a few other things that can be tried first.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Glenroy2368
Tuning in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

The TIVO is a V6. I look  forward to your advise.

0 Kudos
newapollo
Hero
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Glenroy2368,

Are you connecting via ethernet cable as that will give the strongest signal, if so have you tried another ethernet cable? Or a different port in the router?

Have you tried via the hub3 and not your own router?

Following that if you've checked all the wiring and made sure it's finger tight and been rebooting the V6 then the next stage is

Using your TV box remote:

1. Select the home button
  2. Use the directional buttons to select Help & Settings
  3. Select Settings
  4. Select Network
  5. Select Connection in progress: get status or Connect to the Virgin Media Service now

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Are other devices in your home able to connect to the internet over the same connection that you're trying to persuade your V6 to?

And although I appreciate you may not know the answer, does your router give the option of using 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz WiFi frequencies? Although a wired ethernet or powerline connection is recommended if at all possible, V6-WiFi does seem more reliable over 5Ghz if you have the choice.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Glenroy2368
Tuning in
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dave, TIVO V6 is connected by Etherley cable through plug in boosters. Both boosters have new cables attached. Two other boosters are attached to two workstations that are working well on the Internet.  I will try different cables and see what happens.

Thanks

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@Glenroy2368Can you take the known good cabling, and swap it with your V6 Ethernet connection?

You can also try connecting the V6 by WiFi as a diagnostic exercise.

0 Kudos
Glenroy2368
Tuning in
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Yes I have two workstations  attached as well, and they are working well with broadband. I contacted my current  Internet provider  and they checked that the TIVO box could be seen by the router and that all the ports were open on it correctly. I am afraid that they did not tell me whether the router gave the opportunity to give a selection of frequencies.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Glenroy2368
Tuning in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I have changed the cable as suggested,  switched off  and after 20 secs switched on  the V6 and gone into settings, etc, and tried to try and get a network connection,  but it was unsuccessful and I am still getting the same error  message  'N17'.

Thank you for your suggestions. Just as an aside I made contact with Virgin and after 40 minutes of hanging on I spoke to a girl with a far eastern accent who told me that the V6 was only compatible with Virgin broadband, and that I needed an older model box, and said she would transfer me through to the department who would order an older model. One hour later still hanging on it could of been the same girl who then told me that the info I was given was wrong and would speak to the technicians after the call reached 2 hours I gave up.

Thanks for your interest.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@Glenroy2368  Do you have Virgin broadband? I took that as read from your first post, but your last post seems to suggest not.

And how long have you had your V6? Again, I assumed it's worked before but has it?

It's correct to say the V6 uses VM broadband to connect, so if your broadband isn't from Virgin then we've identified your problem.

0 Kudos