cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Code M63

BobHUK
Joining in

Hello all, this is my first post. This evening, for no reason whatsoever, when we turned on our Virgin Tivo box, it only showed one channel. When we tried to change channel an error code came up, M63, which is an account set up error.

We've had our account with Virgin ever since they took over the cable here about 20 odd years ago. The last time we updated our system was at least 10 years ago, and we updated to the latest system at the time, which I think was the Tivo box. We have two of them, one in the living room and one in the bedroom, and it's the one in the living room that's gone funny.

Unfortunately, it's Sunday night, and I can't get in touch with Virgin to ask them to test our system to find out what's wrong. So can anyone shed any light on what the actual problem might be?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @BobHUK 

The special word associated witth your account is the "memorable word".. (sometimes the agents call it the telephone password)

VM have recently updated My Virgin Media and you should be able to set it up/update it by logging in there.

When logged in click on Account Settings >  Account Details > scroll down to Telephone Security Details  (memorable word) > and then click on Edit

You can then enter a memorable word for future use.

When there is an area fault the VM systems often over ride and cancel any booked tech visits until the area fault has been rectified.

It may be worthwhile checking that the appointment is still booked by logging into My Virgin Media, and scrolling towards the bottom of the Home page that opens. Then click on Orders & Appointments  to see if it's showing. 

I had a tech appointment last week which didn't show up in the online browser for My Virgin Media, however  when I double checked  in the My Virgin Media app it was showing there, so you may need to check that too.

You should also receive text (sms) messages to confirm the appointment but may not receive them until tomorrow.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @BobHUK 

Have you tried swapping the boxes around to see if the fault follows the box?

Have you made any recent changes to your account such as regrading/recontracting?

Dave
The do's and don'ts.
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Newapollo, thank you for your message. The answers to your questions, in the order you asked them are;

1. No, we haven't tried swapping them round, but the upstairs box works fine at present, it's just the downstairs box that's gone on the blink

2. No, we've made no changes whatsoever to our account in several years.

That's why I was so surprised at the weird error message saying our account hadn't been set up properly. It's been set up the way it is for at least the last 5 years if not significantly more, so I don't understand how the box could suddenly start acting in the way it did.

The really weird thing was that when we turned it on it came up on whatever the last channel was we'd been watching the day before. But, when we tried to get it to change channel is when the error code M63 came up. Switching back to the previous channel it worked as normal (nearly) because every now and then it would go from full screen to small screen in the corner and channel listing below it.

I'm just about to turn it all on again now and see what works and what doesn't, and if it's still playing up I'll try to contact Virgin and get an engineer out to check it all over. We need one to come out anyway as we have a Virgin phone and we need the adaptor to be able to plug it into our hub and they haven't sent us one yet. It's now become urgent as the changeover to VOIP is today (04/04) and we've received nothing so far from Virgin other than a rather vague letter that arrived several weeks ago.

Just an update on the M63 error code.

I managed to get through to a support person on the phone this afternoon, but because my hearing is not good, I found it difficult to understand what he was saying, and it took some time before I was able to tell him exactly what the problem was. He then asked me to wait on the phone while he ran some diagnostics and when he returned he told me that there is a problem in my area and that engineers are on site and dealing with it. So I then reminded him that I'd told him already about the fact that we have two tivo boxes, and only one of them doesn't work. The other one is working fine, and has no problem changing from channel to channel, only the problem one is affected, so it can't be due to an area problem or both boxes would be affected.

I also told him that the phone I was calling him from was a Virgin landline, and that according to a letter we received over a month ago, all Virgin landlines would be converting to VOIP today (April 4th, 2023). However, so far we've not received the adaptor that would allow us to plug the phone into our Virgin hub, so in fact we have two problems with Virgin at present, not just the one.

He then arranged an engineer visit for us, and the engineer will be visiting us on Wednesday between 12pm and 4pm to fix the problems.

One other thing became apparent during the conversation. Apparently we are supposed to have set up a special word associated with our account. The trouble is that Virgin took over the cable from the previous providers back in the 90's or early 2000's, and neither my wife nor myself have any recollection of setting up any form of special word, or password on our Virgin account. As far as either of us can remember, Virgin just announced themselves as our new provider when they took over the system, and it's been that way ever since. As old equipment began giving trouble, they provided us with new TV boxes and hubs till we ended up with two tivo boxes and a big round cornered square hub with lots of flashing lights that sits in a corner of our living room.

So with luck and a following wind, on Wednesday we'll get the tivo box sorted and get an adaptor cable to plug our Virgin phone into the hub as well. Whatever happens I'll update the forum to let you know the outcome.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @BobHUK 

The special word associated witth your account is the "memorable word".. (sometimes the agents call it the telephone password)

VM have recently updated My Virgin Media and you should be able to set it up/update it by logging in there.

When logged in click on Account Settings >  Account Details > scroll down to Telephone Security Details  (memorable word) > and then click on Edit

You can then enter a memorable word for future use.

When there is an area fault the VM systems often over ride and cancel any booked tech visits until the area fault has been rectified.

It may be worthwhile checking that the appointment is still booked by logging into My Virgin Media, and scrolling towards the bottom of the Home page that opens. Then click on Orders & Appointments  to see if it's showing. 

I had a tech appointment last week which didn't show up in the online browser for My Virgin Media, however  when I double checked  in the My Virgin Media app it was showing there, so you may need to check that too.

You should also receive text (sms) messages to confirm the appointment but may not receive them until tomorrow.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.

Newapollo, thanks for your post. I'll go through the process you listed and see if I can set up a memorable word for the account. However, there may be a problem in the future as I don't have a smartphone that can download apps, and I've no intention of spending my state pension on getting one either. So I have to find ways that don't involve smartphones in order to sort out any problems I may have.

I must say it does annoy me that more or less everything nowadays uses apps on smartphones. It's laziness by the service providers as far as I'm concerned, and I don't see why I should be inconvenienced so that they can be as lazy as they want to be. I pay Virgin a lot of money for the services they provide, and I'm sure that with the vast profits they make from people like me they can afford to provide more diverse ways of reaching their support services than just the ubiquitous 'app'.

I've now managed to open my Virgin Media account page and will go hunting for a memorable word.

Newapollo,

I'm on the Virgin Media site at the moment and having successfully set up a memorable word (many thanks for that!) I'm looking for my appointments. According to what I'm looking at, it would seem that on March 24th I've ordered a 'downgrade' ???

I'm at a loss to understand what I've asked for a downgrade of. I remember that I tried to get through to a human voice a couple of weeks ago to see about arranging an engineer visit to sort out the phone connection in line with the VOIP that came into effect today. However, as I was unable to get past the 'memorable word' requirement I couldn't arrange for anyone to come and sort the phone out. So I decided to wait till it happened then phone, as an email I received said that after 18/03 my phone would only respond to 150 calls and they would automatically connect me to someone who could arrange for an engineer visit.

If you can decypher what's going on I'd be glad to hear your advice, otherwise I'll try to speak to someone on the phone tomorrow and see if I can understand what they're saying about my Virgin services.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @BobHUK 

I'm sorry I can't help with the "downgrade" that's showing. 

If any part of your package is actually being downgraded then there should be a new contract available in My Virgin Media which should show what the change is if you compare it to the previous contract that's on the system.

You can access the contracts on the main screen on the left hand side within the Latest Bill section - there's an underlined link "View Contract" which you click on.(picture 1)  It opens a new page showing your latest contract  (picture 2) You can also click on the drop down box next to "Select the contract period" to view previous contracts

picture 1picture 1Picture 2Picture 2

Dave
The do's and don'ts.

Hello,

Just an update to let everyone know that the Virgin bloke came to see us this afternoon. He arrived at around 2.45pm and stayed for quite some time while he changed out our Tivo box for a different thing altogether. I think he said it was a TV6 box. He also changed our hub to a newer model, a 'Hub 3.0' and then set it all up. So now we have working internet and a working TV. Oh, and he also supplied us with an adaptor to plug our phone into the hub as well. So he was busy the whole time he was with us. Nice bloke, and knew his stuff!

Well, our original fault was never properly sorted out, but with new equipment I hope it won't come back again at any time in the future (fingers crossed).

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @BobHUK 

Thanks for updating the thread.

Pleased to see that the tech visit went ahead and wasn't cancelled, and that you now have  a working V6 box (a lot faster than the older Tivo and double the storage) and a hub3. Also good to see that he had an adaptor for your landline.

If you do have any further problems post back and we'll do our best to help. Also keep an eye on the "downgrade" and shout up if anything has changed.

Take care and stay safe.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.