Menu
stevepsandy
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Error C501 on TiVo 1TB

My TiVo Box has frozen a few times over the last few days while playing a recorded show, requiring a hard restart. On a couple of occasions while trying to restart playing the recorded show, the box stalls and displays the C501 error. However, the box is emitting a ticking noise. As a reasonably experienced pc/laptop user, I recognize the sound as the death rattle of the hard drive. Currently, it is intermittent and for a while, recorded programmes are playable but likely to fail completely in due course. Do I need a replacement TiVo box or will it be repairable?

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Error C501 on TiVo 1TB

Hello

That clicking noise from the box is due to the hard drive inside of the box is failing and you are going to need a replacement.

Regards Mike

I dont work for VirginMedia all opinions are my own.
39 years in IT.
0 Kudos
stevepsandy
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Spoiler
Thanks for the response - confirms my suspicion. Now just need to get through to Customer Service - 35 minutes wait last evening (about 9.30-10pm. Is there anyone there at that time of night? If CS closes say at 8pm, would be nice to have the automatic voice message telling me, rather than the incessant music tracks ☹️
0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello

If you cannot get through and wait here a VM staff member will pick up the post and help you.

Regards Mike

I dont work for VirginMedia all opinions are my own.
39 years in IT.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi stevepsandy,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community, I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your Tivo box and haven't been able to get this resolved.

Looking at the back end of your system I can see some issues, I would like to invite you into a private chat so I can do some further checks and send a technician if necessary.

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos