Menu
leemillward
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Distortion on a couple of channels

Hi.  Getting poor unwatchable picture on 1 or 2 channels like Dave etc.  Also not sue if related but when watching on demand movies box loses connection for 2 or 3 minutes randomly.  We have two boxes and have no issues on the other box.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Distortion on a couple of channels

If, by distortion you mean pixellation, then on live TV this is often indicative of signal issues. If a single box reboot has failed to rectify, then there's an underlying fault that will need VM to rectify.

You've not mentioned any specific channels or whether this is HD or SD - it won't alter the end result, but may help diagnose. If you have multiple boxes and only one is affected, then the problem is likely to either be the box itself or your internal cabling. Swapping the boxes around will quickly prove which one.

Once you've done that and know whether the box or wiring is the problem, you can either call to report your fault (150 or 0345 4541111) or wait on here for VM staff to respond.

You've mentioned movies OnDemand dropping, but is this only movies or all of OnDemand? There could be an underlying problem here too (which is potentially related to the pixellation) - but a good first check is whether you have problems with all of OnDemand. The network tech providing OD to your box is the same for all broadcasters except BBC iPlayer.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

leemillward
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply.  Only noticed on movies because it take 30 mins or so to happen.  The green light flashes and then we have to wait for reconnection before continuing to watch.   It can then drop out randomly from there on

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

If the green light you refer to is the heartbeat (second from left) one, flashing indicates the inbuilt internet connection has failed.

No internet means no OnDemand, streaming or TV Guide updates.

Again, a fault.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
leemillward
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thought perhaps so.  So it's the box then.  Funny how it resets after a while and the light becomes solid.   Perhaps it's overheating when streaming?

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I wouldn't imagine heat is an issue, but TiVo modems can sometimes drop connections when they're in active use.

You've almost certainly got a faulty box in any case.

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lee,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, sorry to hear you have been having issues with distortion on some channels.

I have had a look at your account using the details we have for you and I can see you have spoken to our faults team in regards to this since your last post, how are things now, are you still getting the same issue?

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos