Menu
ElaineCurrie6
Joining in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Distorted TV Picture for 7 months and Virgin just keep brushing off my complaints

The picture on my tvs have been distorted since June/July 2020.  I have repeatedly asked for Virgin's help, lodged two complaint forms, sent a letter to the Head of Complaints Dept.  I have aso requested a refund of the monthly payments collected by Virgin during the time they have failed to provide an adequate service.  They have ignored me, the Head of Complaints did not even bother to acknowledge my letter.

Eventually, I found this board and, with the help of a staff member, an engineer's visit was fixed for 4th February.  I had previously been told by Virgin that the problem with my Tivo boxes was due to an area outage and their engineers were working on it.  This was a complete lie.

The engineer checked my Tivo boxes and said the problems were due to inadequate signal strength.  He told me that over the years many more people in London had subscribed to Virgin Media and the signal from the old cables had to be shared between them.  The cable is apparently unable to provide a strong enough signal to enable my Tivo boxes to function properly.

Today I received an email from the Complaints Department informing me that my complaint lodged months ago had been resolved by "Feedback given".  They also say Virgin have upgraded my "set top box for free of cost". They don't mention which box, but none of them have been upgraded, this is just another lie.

The email ends with the usual instruction to phone them within 28 days if I am not happy with this so called resolution.  I am not happy with wasting money on phone calls which usually involve holding on for an hour or so and then being cut off.

Virgin obviously must be aware of the problem with the cables providing inadequate signal strength.  Why are they continuing to mess me about? 

Has anybody else had a similar problem with signal strength and actually managed to get Virgin to fix it?

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Distorted TV Picture for 7 months and Virgin just keep brushing off my complaints

Pixellated pictures on live TV is a common symptom of signal issues on digital platforms, and since Virgin is a digital TV platform, then any Virgin TV customer with signal issues could potentially have pixellation issues.

If there is a recognised fault in your area, it should be listed on the automated status line - 0800 5610061.

When did you last speak to Virgin Faults C/S to have your signal levels remotely checked?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
ElaineCurrie6
Joining in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Distorted TV Picture for 7 months and Virgin just keep brushing off my complaints

Diagnostic tests have been run on more than one occasion since the problem started last year.

I received an email from the Virgin Media Team today stating that they have run checks and there are no active outages in my area.

For months I have been checking daily to see if there are any local faults.  Have not seen any TV faults for my area.

The email from the complaints dept states they have upgraded my set top box (they don't specify which one they are referring to).  I don't believe this, but is it something they can do without my knowledge?  There has been no improvement anyway.

Surely somebody must be able to fix this.  I am so sick of programmes dissolving into abstract masses of colours.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Let's break this down.

You've mentioned an engineer visit a few weeks back, early Feb I think you said. That's the absolute best way to progress the vast majority of pixellation/signal issues, so what has happened since then? Have you heard anything? More importantly, have you called to chase it, if the symptoms have continued?

TV box - which one do you have? Check here if you're not sure. And do you have Virgin broadband?

Are you able to post a picture of your TV picture and add it to this thread? It may help "us" as other community members to have an educated guess whether it's just a signal issue or if there could be something else going on.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
ElaineCurrie6
Joining in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi.  Have heard nothing since the engineer visited.  The same symptoms have continued.

I have not tried to contact Virgin again (unable due to personal circumstances).

I have Tivo boxes.

Do not have Virgin broadband.

IMG_0846(1).JPGIMG_0858(1).JPGIMG_0907.JPGpic 1 21 Jan 21.jpg

0 Kudos
ElaineCurrie6
Joining in
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, didn't realise photos so big.
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

No prob re the pictures, I've approved them now.

With you not having VM broadband, you are limited to having the TiVo box - the V6 (which would be the obvious swapout) requires the use of VM broadband.

Given you've had an engineer visit, I'm going to assume that the power levels on your cabling is all in order. The pictures you've posted are quite severe - poor signal could well feature, but it could also have an element of box fault (decoder or tuner, maybe)

I've escalated this thread to VM forum staff for a second opinion on your case. They should also be able to some basic checks of power levels, too.

0 Kudos
ElaineCurrie6
Joining in
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your help.  I hope people at Virgin will take notice of you - they just brush me off and it is driving me crazy.

When you mention "box fault"  do you mean the Tivo boxes? 

Not sure if I made it clear that we have 3 Tivo boxes and they are all exhibiting the same fault.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@ElaineCurrie6 wrote:

Not sure if I made it clear that we have 3 Tivo boxes and they are all exhibiting the same fault.

You have now! That would tend to suggest that maybe there is an external fault. Or you're unlucky in having 3 faulty boxes.

Let's see what the staff team turn up - they may get back to you tonight, it may be tomorrow morning.

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Good morning @ElaineCurrie6 

Thank you for reaching out once again. 

I am sorry to hear that you are still having the Issues with your picture quality. I have taken a further look into the account once again, It is stating that there are issues with all 3 of the boxes, one of them is a hard drive issue and the other 2 are an input signal level. It has recommended that I replace all 3 boxes. 

Would you like for me to arrange for these to be swapped for you?  Alternatively I can arrange for another engineer to come and take a look over things again? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M 

0 Kudos