cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant pixelation on every channel

DreamH654
Tuning in

Hi, I have an ongoing problem for months and months that's not getting any better.

There is pixelation non stop, well, you get to watch a few seconds of a show maybe then it will do it again. The Main HD channels like BBC and ITV obviously have much worse pixelation.

I have obviously tried unplugging box, i always unplug it every night when i turn it off anyway.

An engineer came out a few months ago and said that the signal was fine, he said that maybe some of the leads are trapped? Anyway, not long after he left it was ok for about half an hour then it started doing it again. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi DreamH654, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Forum. It's great having you on bard with us in the Community. 

I'm sorry to hear you are having an issue with pixellation on your box. Taking a look at things this end, the box is showing that the input signal levels are way to low. We won't be able to fix this remotely so I would like to arrange for an engineer to come to take a look at this for you. 

I just need to confirm the address to ensure we are booking the visit on the correct account. I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Pixellated pictures on live TV are often the sign of a signal fault. If you've rebooted your box once, then there's likely a fault somewhere, so this will need VM to intervene. You're likely to need either an engineer visit or a replacement box, depending on what VM's remote diagnostics turn up.

You did the right thing in previously having a tech out, but when was this? It sounds like you've had this problem for a while, and not reported it?

Switching off your box at the mains each night certainly won't be helping - VM's TV boxes are designed to be powered up 24x7, and if you're taking the mains supply off overnight this will cause issues sooner or later, and I wouldn't bet against this not helping.

Either wait here for staff to pickup this post in a couple of days, or call in to report it.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

if they decided on a replacement box would that mean losing all my recordings?

the tech came out about 2 months ago i think, i have a very busy life and it's very difficult to arrange things like this. 

If i left the box plugged in overnight would that cost me a lot of electricity?

Is there anything i can check on the system info that would help find answers?

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A box-swap will mean all recordings being lost, yes. That's standard.

The TiVo has power-saving options under the Help & Settings menu which will reduce the power consumption overnight, but I wouldn't want to speculate on costs & figures.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi DreamH654, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Forum. It's great having you on bard with us in the Community. 

I'm sorry to hear you are having an issue with pixellation on your box. Taking a look at things this end, the box is showing that the input signal levels are way to low. We won't be able to fix this remotely so I would like to arrange for an engineer to come to take a look at this for you. 

I just need to confirm the address to ensure we are booking the visit on the correct account. I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Hi DreamH654, 

Thanks for coming back to me via private message with your details. 

If you currently have recordings that you don't wish to lose then it may be worth holding off on the engineer visit for now until you've had a chance to watch them. The reason for this is because the engineer may need to swap out the box. As we no longer support the TiVo box, if this happens, you'll be given a V6 box. 

The signal level is way to low at the moment which will cause picture and sometimes sound issues. Unless we get the engineer appointment booked, the signal levels can't be adjusted and therefore the issues you're getting will just get worst. More often than not the signals can be adjusted at the cabinet or by adding in an attenuator however sometimes the box is faulty and not picking up the correct signals so there is a strong possibility that the engineer will want to replace the box. 

Please let me know what you would wish to do 🙂 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team