Menu
slwatts
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Connecting a Soundbar

I have  Bush soundbar that I want to connect to my TV and TV V6 box.

When I connect the soundbar via the optical cable. My TV is connected via a HDMI.

I cannot get any sound out of the soundbar. The volume remains on my TV but cannot be controlled by the Virgin handset nor via the soundbar.

I have checked the settings onscreen.

Help.

0 Kudos
C_Butcher86
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connecting a Soundbar

Hi,

Best option is to connect the TV with the optical lead to the soundbar that way anything coming from the TV will come out the soundbar.

The Virgin remote most likely wont sync with the soundbar so you will have to use that remote too. make sure the sound on the TV is turned down or you may get an echo.

Thanks, Chris

To PM just hover over my profile picture and click Send Message when the option comes up. Please don't post any of the info I've asked for in this thread as it's public

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
slwatts
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply.

My TV, does not have an optical lead connection. 

My Virgin Remote has never controlled the volume on the TV.

Not sure why I can get a picture and sound via HDMI to my TV but cannot bypass the audio via the optical cable. As an aside, I have never been able to control the sound via the Virgin remote and have always had to use the TV remote independently.

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Community elder
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Doesn't the soundbar have an HDMI input that you can connect to the TV?

0 Kudos
slwatts
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi, yes it does just not the TV.

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Community elder
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Does the soundbar have a pair of 'phono' sockets for audio input?  You could connect them with an audio output e.g. headphone socket, on the TV.  You really do need to feed the soundbar from the TV rather than the V6.

0 Kudos
slwatts
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Yes it does and I did have it connected via that means but the audio was not great.

Why can't I connect via the optical lead and to the V6. Also, why can't I use the volume controls on the V6 handset?

0 Kudos
Spencer_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hello,

To get the volume controls to work on the V6 you would need to pair the remote to the TV. You can do this by going into Help & Settings > Help > Program Your Remote (Tab up the top). This will guide you through pairing your remote to your TV.

With the Optical Cable is it connected in the port between the Ethernet & AC Power labeled D.Audio? As there is 2 Audio ports on the back of the V6 and the port on the left of the box next to the COAX In port is inactive.

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Why not try our text messaging service? It's a great way to get help with your services.

Just send your query to 07533051809 and we'll text you back.

We're open 8am - 8pm Monday to Friday, 8am - 5pm weekends.

If my post has helped you at all please mark it Helpful or give a Kudos, thanks!
0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@Spencer_A wrote:
Hello,

To get the volume controls to work on the V6 you would need to pair the remote to the TV. You can do this by going into Help & Settings > Help > Program Your Remote (Tab up the top). This will guide you through pairing your remote to your TV.

With the Optical Cable is it connected in the port between the Ethernet & AC Power labeled D.Audio? As there is 2 Audio ports on the back of the V6 and the port on the left of the box next to the COAX In port is inactive.

Erm! Yes it is active. I say that because I'm using it to drive an amplifier. The 3.5mm audio jack & the optical work. The mini-SCART socket does not.

The V6 remote can only be programmed to control the sound on external equipment. It will not control the output level from the V6.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Hero
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@slwatts wrote:

Yes it does and I did have it connected via that means but the audio was not great.

Why can't I connect via the optical lead and to the V6. Also, why can't I use the volume controls on the V6 handset?

Yes you should indeed connect the soundbar to the V6 with a Toslink cable, that's what the digital optical socket is there for. You need to control the volume from the soundbar.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos