Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Connect old Tivo via Ethernet/Wifi

Lots of posts on this by others but none appear to answer exactly so apologies if you feel is duplicate...

I have the old style Tivo despite only being a customer for the last year. I understand it does not have Wifi but it does have Ethernet and I have powerline adaptors to combat that. My VM coax comes in nowhere near TVs so I want my Tivo to run over Ethernet without the VM coax plugged in. I've done this but it never leaves the starting up screen. Is this not possible? If it is, what could I be doing wrong?

If not possible, would a v6 Tivo work for me over WiFi to my mesh network when the VM coax is disconnected? If so, how do I get a v6? I'm led to understand all customers were upgraded in 2018 so probably have one of their return old boxes!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Connect old Tivo via Ethernet/Wifi

Every Virgin Media TV box MUST be connected to the co-ax.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Wow ok thanks - why do they have Ethernet and v6 have Wifi then?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

The live channels and some VOD come down the cable and some VOD, the apps and the Guide use the internet connection.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

CABLE TV needs a CABLE. shocking if only they make that clear. maybe in the name 😛

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Given we're in 2020 and WiFi is more than capable of multiple UHD video streams to devices in the home I do not think it required a sarcastic response like that given that the coax would still terminate in the VM router. VM incidentally confuse matters by classing FTTP as a coax cable thru the house wall as opposed to fibre optics.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Wifi can not handle video. If everyones boxes use wifi you'd kill the wifi envoliment.
Its bad enough on the wifi if you have 2 V6 boxes streaming wirelessly

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I suggest you disable WiFi on your VM router and instead use a decent mesh network. You'll then find you can stream UHD on multiple devices at the same time across large premises without issue. Fact.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Not a fact. wifi congestion is something that the power of the transmitter will not help.
buying a mesh network will not change the laws of physics

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

As Giley says, lots of answers but not what I want.

I have just upgraded to V6 from TiVo. Swap over took me by surprise as there are recorded programmes on the TiVo I wanted to watch. 

I have tried plugging it and connecting to the TV but the TiVo will not power up.

I have read that the fibre COAX need to be connected. Even so, I think the box needs to be registered and only my V6 is.

I could of course try it but, knowing luck and the availability of VM Support I am somewhat reluctant.

Has anyone actually achieved it?

Practical experience please, theory is lost on me.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos