cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compatibility of TiVo Box and TV

Knotty1
Joining in

The Stand-by button on my 13 year-old tv has stopped working. Probably time to buy a new set. So I have a couple of questions. First: will a new smart tv/4K/ultra HD etc. set be compatible with my Tivo box? And second: will I need to get a Virgin engineer to come and connect the new set to the box? These are probably silly questions for most of you but I am of a certain age and not exactly technically minded!! 

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Before you consider changing your box, just be aware of one thing... VM will likely give you a sales pitch for the new 360 platform. Whether that is a good thing or not is a matter of some opinion on here, but you must be aware it's completely different software to TiVo-platform which drives the TiVo/V6 boxes.

You will have two options if you want a box that drives a UHD TV.

1: Upgrade from a TiVo to a V6, run the same software but on a much newer box with more recording tuners and extra facilities.

2: Convert from TiVo > 360, but be aware the software is completely different and there's no going back if you don't like it. Do some research on this board into the pros & cons, and if you choose to convert - do so on an informed basis. There's an absolute catalogue of threads on this subject, but this one is particularly good.

You are quite free to choose either option, although a TiVo > V6 swap might be easiest as part of a wholesale package renegotiation. Whereas a conversion to 360 will probably be quite willingly offered.

Whatever you decide, be aware of one difference with your TiVo - both the V6 & 360 rely on a connection via your VM home broadband for the internet, this can be either wired or wireless but an Ethernet cable is always best given the choice. The TiVo has an inbuilt 'net connection.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Firstly let's be clear that you're referring to a TiVo box and not the TiVo-software that also powers the (more modern and far superior) V6 box? If you're not sure, check here 

Next up... connecting a TV to your VM box is just a case of connecting the HDMI lead from the output socket on the TiVo/V6 to the HDMI port on your TV - you can do that yourself no problem.

Secondly... yes, all VM TV boxes have an HDMI output which can connect to any TV with an HDMI input but... the TiVo doesn't support 4K/UHD - you will need a V6 to do that. A TiVo only supports upto 1080 HD output.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated. My VM box is the TiVo. So from what you're saying  it would need to be changed too...

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Before you consider changing your box, just be aware of one thing... VM will likely give you a sales pitch for the new 360 platform. Whether that is a good thing or not is a matter of some opinion on here, but you must be aware it's completely different software to TiVo-platform which drives the TiVo/V6 boxes.

You will have two options if you want a box that drives a UHD TV.

1: Upgrade from a TiVo to a V6, run the same software but on a much newer box with more recording tuners and extra facilities.

2: Convert from TiVo > 360, but be aware the software is completely different and there's no going back if you don't like it. Do some research on this board into the pros & cons, and if you choose to convert - do so on an informed basis. There's an absolute catalogue of threads on this subject, but this one is particularly good.

You are quite free to choose either option, although a TiVo > V6 swap might be easiest as part of a wholesale package renegotiation. Whereas a conversion to 360 will probably be quite willingly offered.

Whatever you decide, be aware of one difference with your TiVo - both the V6 & 360 rely on a connection via your VM home broadband for the internet, this can be either wired or wireless but an Ethernet cable is always best given the choice. The TiVo has an inbuilt 'net connection.