Menu
Pa-w
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Coax

The connector has come off on my coax cable from wall to splitter. This lose connection is causing problems with OD services. Have been chatting online to virgin who say I need to buy a new one and won't replace with virgin kit. That can't be right surely? 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Coax

No, it's not right.

All your VM equipment is for VM to maintain, and DIY fixes are also bad news on several levels.

Try calling instead if the online chat won't see sense.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Pa-w
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for this. Very helpful. I did call and spoke to someone who agreed to send me a new coaxial cable. The parcel arrived today but contained a new hub power supply.......... !!

I've tried calling but there seems to be a wait of an hour and last time I did an online chat I was told I needed to buy a new cable from Amazon......Is there a way I can leave this message on these forums for it to be picked up by VM?

I'm fed up of not being able to use OD services I am paying through the nose for...

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

No VM C/S rep should advice you to source your own co-ax cable, wrong wrong wrong on so many levels. Ethernet & HDMI cables are fine to source yourself, but co-ax needs to be supplied by VM at the very least, they use a particularly high-grade shielded cable. It concerns (but doesn't surprise) me that live-chat staff are advising customers to get co-ax from Amazon, that's a fast way to cause noise issues on the local network.

You've done the right things here, so I've escalated this post to VM forum staff for them to respond and arrange the necessaries.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Lisa_CC
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to hear about the coax cable issue you're having Pa-w and that the wrong item has been sent out to you. As japitts mentioned, only certain cables like the coax cable should be managed by an engineer. Can you tell me what services are being affected? Is it your TV On Demand for example? Please give us more information so we can run diagnostics here.

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos
Pa-w
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply Lisa. The issue is that the connector on the end of the coax where it goes into the wall box has come off the coax cable itself. I've pushed it back on and refixed.

TV and broadband are working fine but I'm having problems with OD services (VM store, Netflix & Sky Movies) where programmes start OK but 5-10  mins in I get a 603 error "This show is temporarily unavailable"

I thought the problem might be the loose coax but looking on this forum I wonder if the problem is my old TiVo box. When I have this problem the internal modem lights flash on the box (and as I said broadband is fine) so I suspect the internal modem in the box might be failing.

Given Covid I dont really want an engineer visit at the moment to be honest and was very happy to swap over the cable myself to see if this fixed the problem. On the phone I was told a replacement coax would be sent but the parcel contained a cable for the Hub (actually a cable for a Hub 2 - I now have. Hub 3!!).

Very grateful for your help

0 Kudos
Lisa_CC
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Pa-w 🙂 I asked so I knew where to look to see what may be happening. The TiVo Box has it's own internal modem and if it's misbehaving, it can affect your On Demand content. I've had a look at the TiVo box's details and there are input errors showing across all the tuners, it could be the coax cable causing this but I'm afraid an engineer will be required. I've also checked your broadband and everything looks fine except for one upstream channel.

Given the above, I can arrange for an engineer visit but also understand that you may not want one for personal reasons. Please take a look at this link for details on what we're doing to help and protect our customers and let me know if you want to go ahead with an engineer visit or if you're happy to wait.

Thanks

Lisa

Pa-w
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Lisa. That's very helpful. Would it be possible to swap the box and cable myself to see if that solves the issue rather than have an engineer? I am very happy to do this myself  - I did a self-install on a new router when my old one was failing.

KR

Paul

0 Kudos
Lisa_CC
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hey Paul,

If it's the coax cable feeding in that's loose, it really does need an engineer visit, especially given errors that I'm seeing. Without being at your property, it's hard to advise whether it's a simple fix for you or whether more work is required and this can be done by the engineer. It is possible that a new TiVo box may not be sufficient in this case.

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos
Pa-w
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Lisa. I do understand but that's why I was originally asking for a new coax to see if it fixed the problem easily! (It is only screwed into the wall box so no more difficult to swap than hooking up my router). The online folk were even telling me to just buy a new cable!

I'm very uncomfortable about arranging an engineer at the moment but I guess I have no choice if there is nothing I can try.

P

0 Kudos