cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coax for Tivo Box

gryphon
Joining in

I think this is the correct board.

I have my second Tivo box i a bedroom that hasn't had the box in before. The other rooms have the original Telewest coax's in from many years back. I am using a normal coax into the Tivo box but the signal seems to drop out regularly. I have been in touch with VM and they have sent me out a 15m length of coax which i intend to run in shortly.

My query is it looks awfully thin, it's a proper MV supplied coax and probably just me.

16 REPLIES 16

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @gryphon,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post and I'm sorry to hear that you're having some issues with your second TV box and issues with the install.

Please let us know if the cable you received is working or if you need any further assistance with this? We're here to help further if needed.

Thank you! 😊 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@gryphon wrote:

I think this is the correct board.

I have my second Tivo box i a bedroom that hasn't had the box in before. The other rooms have the original Telewest coax's in from many years back. I am using a normal coax into the Tivo box but the signal seems to drop out regularly. I have been in touch with VM and they have sent me out a 15m length of coax which i intend to run in shortly.

My query is it looks awfully thin, it's a proper MV supplied coax and probably just me.

Using non standard cable results in signal ingress from outside. Only VMs triple screened cable should be used. What you have also got is signal loss, & is the reason you need a tech visit to install any extension wiring. Your signal levels are adjusted for the amount of cable you currently have. If you add more than 5 metres or so the levels go out of spec & equipment will not work properly. You need a tech visit to open the street cabinet & adjust the levels to compensate for the extension.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Nodrogd. I currently have a normal coax in this room and it's only recently I have moved Tivo box in there and yes I am getting drop out or signal loss.

I have been in touch with VM and they have sent me out their supplied coax, what I'm querying is the size. It looks very thin but as I say, VM supplied it and I'll be running shortly when I replace carpets.

Hi gryphon

Thank you for your post and welcome back to our community.

If its been supplied and sent by us directly it will be the correct equipment and size 🙂

Please do let us know how the signal is once you have attached this.

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

It will be later in the summer before the cable will be installed, hopefully that will solve the proble. Thanks

Hi @gryphon,

Please do let us know if there's anything more that we can help you with.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

A quick question. There is fat, chunky bit near the end of the cable, am i best putting this end into Tivo box, or the splitter it will be coming from, and what's inside the bulge.

Thanks for coming back to us @gryphon.

Is there any chance you're able to post a picture of this, so we can better understand what you're referring to?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

David,

I am working away from till next week, as soon as i'm home i will post up a photo, probably Wednesday. If memory serves me right one end had a blue bit tape round it and one end red.