Menu
Vickym79
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Co-ax Confusion

So, I’ve been a Virgin customer for donkeys years and have had the service installed by virgin whenever I’ve moved. When the service was installed at my current address, the engineer decided to install using a 10m co-ax from the box on the wall to the TiVo box (it’s connected to a bedroom tv). Seemed like a great idea at the time.

Couple of years pass and I start having picture issues, eventually gave in and had an engineer come out who, god knows why, replaced my TiVo boxes but not the co-ax. So I’ve preserved for another couple years with being unable to access on demand, apps and picture issues on this tv/box, but now it’s unbearable. The interference is now so bad you can’t actually watch live tv without feeling like you’re watching a kaleidoscope! 

ive checked all settings and connections; replaced HDMI cable; ran diagnostics. The only thing it can be is the co-ax cable which has a lovely great big kink in it. I’ve tried straightening it to no avail so I reckon it needs replaced. 

obviously I don’t want to go to the expensive of an engineer call out so I’m trying to figure out if I can either (a) go to DIY store and buy a cable, if so what do I buy (b) if this isn’t possible, how do I order one direct from virgin that I can install myself? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated; I’ve been reading through the forums to see if I can find the answer but there’s a lot of ‘debate’ on it - can someone just gimme the definitive answer before I crack up 😏

0 Kudos
jem101
Community elder
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Co-ax Confusion

This just isn't something you can get and do yourself, but as it is obviously a fault, there won't be any cost in getting an engineer visit to fix.

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

1) You have a fault. Fault callouts are free of charge as part of the equipment rental you pay covers this. Don't "put off" calling VM to fix issues. You just end up paying for something you can't use & for a repair service that could have fixed it ages ago.

2) Using your own cabling is not only against the terms & conditions of service (it's VMs network property). Any alterations or use of cable that is not to VM spec could cause issues for all your neighbours as well as you. You could then end up with the bill to fix all your neighbours issues as a result.

VM BB TV Landline. Vonage 2nd line. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello Vickym79

Please let me know if you need this looking into and arranging for a Service Tech to come out 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
Vickym79
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Gareth

thanks for getting back to me. Can we get this looked into please? I honestly think it’s just a new cable I need 😊

Thanks, Vicky

0 Kudos