Menu
mick19
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Charge for extra tv box for 6 years

We moved into a new house July 2013 and started a new VM contract. We returned the old box from our previous house in December 2013 and we have a postal tracking receipt to prove we returned the equipment (following the return instructions that VM provided when I contacted them to find out how to do this).

This week an engineer visited to replace our malfunctioning TiVo box, and he flagged that our contract still had us down as having two boxes.  We now understand we have been charged extra for the returned box since July 2013. There is limited transparency to their billing information so I cannot see a breakdown charge on our monthly bill and it is not clear that VM were charging for this box.

VM is refusing to engage on the subject of a refund, saying that we should have requested that the second box was removed from our contract. I have no record of VM asking us to do that and would clearly not have agreed to pay for a service that I was no longer getting. I would like VM to refund us for the extra charge that they have been imposing since we returned the old box in December 2013.

I have spoken to VM several times since 2013 specifically to renegotiate reduced costs for our package and never once have VM said that we were paying for an additional box. 

We have raised a formal complaint with VM and are awaiting a response. In the meantime, I'd be grateful for any advice as to the right questions to ask to understand why this billing error has happened and how we can resolve it please.

Many thanks

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Charge for extra tv box for 6 years

That’s a weird one. Contracts are linked to addresses so your old contract for the old box will have ceased when you moved. The only way you would have 2 boxes on the new contract would be 1) if you specifically asked for it, or 2) you signed up for a VIP package which has 2 boxes as standard. There are quite a few people that signed up for VIP to get the enhanced content but never used the second box & just stored it away.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

mick19
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks nodrogd. Okay that's good to know. It doesn't make sense to me either. Will see what explanation VM come back with. We wouldn't have asked for a VIP package, we have the bare minimum of everything! I remember trying to negotiate a discount because we didn't want the phone line, but were essentially forced to have it as part of our package and it was no cheaper to not have it, if that makes sense.

0 Kudos
japitts
Super solver
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Another thought to add to the mix, I totally get that VM's bills don't break down the cost of individual services and that's the nature of bundling - fine. I wonder if anywhere on your bill though, is even a mention of "second box" somewhere. My bundle does list all the individual components, even if there's no cost associated.

Also.. as for taking extra services because they attract discounts, I find with VM it's easier just to go with it rather than fight it - if they want to throw extra services in for the same or less cost, then that's upto VM and there doesn't seem any point in making an issue out of it. As long as you remember such things when it comes to renegotiating, and don't get caught out...

Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

This is why you must take your kit with you when you do a house move. You either connect it up yourself or you get a manned installation (and the VM technician takes away any unwanted kit).

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
mick19
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks all for your replies and advice. Just want a fair outcome in all of this, so we'll see what transpires.

0 Kudos