Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Channel4 and BBC4 recordings no longer available

When I try to play programmes recorded on Channel4 and BBC4 I get this message: "We're sorry but this recording can't be viewed because Channel4 [or BBC4] is no longer available from Virgin Media."

Has anyone else had this annoying problem? Has Virgin Media given an explanation?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Channel4 and BBC4 recordings no longer available

Hello

The reason this happened was when VM changed the channels to HD i.e. channel 107 instead of being BBC4 it is now BBC4 HD, as the channel is different the recording no longer matches the channel and I am afraid there is no way around this, normally there is a short period of time when the recording was still available.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

BBC4 Standard Definition was removed & Channel 4 versions regionalised on Virgin over a year ago.

The rule is that when a channel is removed from Virgin you have a preset time (usually a year) to view the recordings made from that channel. The permissions are then removed & the recordings are no longer viewable.

Recordings on Virgin equipment are permitted for time shifting purposes only, & as such there is an agreement with the channel providers that viewing permissions are removed after a set time from a channel being removed.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Very, very unhappy. A programme that I appeared in, 'My Family Secrets Revealed', has been made unavailable. I now have no means of of re-watching it or showing it to friends or family. I was not aware that this could happen. I thought if I had recorded it I could watch it for as long as I subscribed to Virgin Media. The Channels in question are obviously still available, albeit in another form, so why are the programmes deleted. I have always been a happy customer but now I know that this can happen I am far less likely to recommend Virgin Media to anyone else. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

If you want to keep recordings indefinitely yourself, and guarantee they will always be available, then you should be looking at a DVD recorder or similar solution. You'll struggle to combine this type of solution with any pay-TV provider or channel.

In the vast majority of cases, and assuming your package remains the same, there isn't a time limit on retention of recordings. But this can sometimes happen when channel or transmission changes are made - on all platforms.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Pinson1925 wrote:

Very, very unhappy. A programme that I appeared in, 'My Family Secrets Revealed', has been made unavailable. I now have no means of of re-watching it or showing it to friends or family. I was not aware that this could happen. I thought if I had recorded it I could watch it for as long as I subscribed to Virgin Media. The Channels in question are obviously still available, albeit in another form, so why are the programmes deleted. I have always been a happy customer but now I know that this can happen I am far less likely to recommend Virgin Media to anyone else. 

That show seems to be available in full on All4 online.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/my-family-secrets-revealed/episode-guide

Whether it's available through the TV app on the V6 or via Smart TV is down to Channel 4.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Episodes 1 to 15 are available via the All4 app on Freeplay, however episode 2 is missing via the VM All4 app, the rest of the episodes are there.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos