Menu
SJOPWOOD
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Catch up stops every time

We have cable broadband direct to the TV.  Catch up is becoming more and more erratic.  every time we watch it now it stops, we get a C130 code, we reset the box and if we're lucky we manage to finish the programme before it happens again.  The stupid thing is that it tells us we need to reconnect to the network when we're on cable!

Can't get through to anyone via Virgin website.  I know times are tough in lockdown but watching TV is about the only thing we can do and this has been going on for months now

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Catch up stops every time

Which TV box do you have?

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-box 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
SJOPWOOD
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It says Samsung on the top. 500gb

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you check the link in my previous post (re-quoted here ) there's pictures of the 3 current VM boxes where you can compare with yours to make sure.

It sounds like you have a TiVo, thats the only one that comes in 500Gb.

OnDemand & Streaming services on the TiVo (NOT the V6) have two issues:

1: The box is quite old and runs old hardware, it can struggle with the streaming apps (iPlayer, Netflix, YouTube) especially and this is one (of a few) reason why the additional apps are only available on the V6. There isn't any way of sugar-coating this, I'm afraid.

2: All OnDemand & streaming apps rely on an internet connection, the TiVo's is in-built (separate from your home broadband) but this often fails without users realising. On the front-left of the box are a series of green lights, the second-from-left has a painted heart symbol next to it and is your "online" light. A static light is good, but a flashing heartbeat lights means the TiVo's internet connection has failed. Anything relying on the internet will fail when this happens.

Scenario 2 is a fault, and you should report it to Virgin Media on the usual number (150 from VM, or 0345 4541111 from any other phone). It may be an external network fault, but is often a box failure & replacement.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

SJOPWOOD
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Sorry - didn't see the link (duh!)

Yes it's definitley a Tivo box.  I haven't noticed the green light flashing and will check that later. TBH, as soon as I can get through to 150 I shall report a fault.  After 20+ years with Virgin i think the least they can do is change the box if it's failing.  Which it clearly is for what ever reason.

Thank you for your prompt help even if it only confirmed what we already suspected.

0 Kudos
SJOPWOOD
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Steve - that is EXACTLY  what ours does and telephone support always say that there is no fault/no issue at all so we keep on living with it.  I think my next route is to tell them I'm thinking of leaving.  Trouble is, the alternative suppliers near us are not as good for broadband which we use a lot working from home, and tbh it's my husband that watches the TV not me so do i care as much?! 

0 Kudos