cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I access recorded programmes on virgin media after contract termination period has expired?

ronnie69VM
Tuning in

As heading. I am getting away from VM at last after MANY years with them. I've seen similar threads on here but from some years ago. Our box is some years old (5+ minimum years I think) and I think it's a TIVO. Virgin haven't asked for it back and I doubt they'll want it. However I wonder if the files are encrypted somehow and when they turn off the broadband, landline and telly soon if the recordings will then become unviewable. I know it's 'only' a hard drive recorder but I'm not too techie.  
Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM TV boxes need an active subscription to work, and the recordings are effectively rented as part of it.

When your subscription ceases, so do those recordings.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM TV boxes need an active subscription to work, and the recordings are effectively rented as part of it.

When your subscription ceases, so do those recordings.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Virgin is a pay TV service. This extends to your recordings as well, which all form part of their carriage agreements with the broadcasters & content owners. If you terminate your agreement with Virgin you also terminate any access you have to the content recorded as part of that subscription. Recording of content on pay platforms is only licenced for the purposes of time-shifting to view at a more convenient time, not for archiving. So you don't have any rights to content you recorded beyond the termination your agreement.

If it is a 500GB TiVO they won't want it back, but it will only be useful as a door stop after your subscription ends.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

Thanks for the replies. I hoped the recordings might remain accessible for maybe a short time, but suspected they probably wouldn't.

Never mind - losing the recorded stuff is a small price to pay for getting away from Virgin. I've been with them since NTL days for telly, broadband and landline and for about 10 years on mobile. Services generally ok but telephoning them and customer service generally are absolutely appalling in my experience (except virgin mobile who were ok the few times I called them) and their complete indifference to a small complaint I submitted late last year (which became a bigger complaint after they failed to deal with it) were the last straw and did me a favour. Also the media charges are getting beyond a joke. All virgin services terminated now, happy days. 

I was going to mark both responses as helpful answers but once I did that for japitts', it won't let me for nodrogd. Soz.