Menu
oner1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

CHANGING WIFI NETWORK ON TIVO

I wan to change the wifi network that my Tivo is linked to. Did a bit of searching on line for procedures and was expecting via settings on the tv menu to get to a point of being presented with wifi/ethernet option and having chosen wifi to then be presented with a list of wifi options and to choose the one I want to go on to and then to be asked for a password.

Where I get to is three options :-

1)Get automatically from a DHCP server

2)Let me specify a static IP address

3)Let the Tivo box assign itself an IP address

Bit frightened to go any further in case it all switches off on me! Can anyone help point me in the right direction please?

0 Kudos
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: CHANGING WIFI NETWORK ON TIVO

You need the first option which allows your router to allocate a local IP address.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
oner1
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Ernie thanks for posting.

In the meantime I have been looking at other threads and found the following in a post : Unfortunately the TiVo doesn't have a WiFi receiver in them so if they're not connected to your hub through an ethernet connection they would be getting their network connection through the same coaxial cable that they use for their general TV connection.

I am confused - but more perhaps put more correctly just downright ignorant. Does the above statement mean I am barking up the wrong tree in the first place? I am trying to improve the performance of on demand stuff (iPlayer, YouTube, etc). It is currently painfully slow. I have put this down largely to the hub not being connected to the Tivo by ethernet. I thought that consequently we were relying on Wifi. Have recently put some extenders about the house to try and improve things but as I understand it the network name is different through them and I am trying to link the Tivo to that new network but from the above seems like I am misreading the situation and that trying to improve wifi is not the answer.

Ethernet is not immediately feasible but that is the way I plan to go eventually. 

Incidentally can you explain in layman's terms how coaxial works if it is not feeding off my broadband? Or am I getting even more confused asking that? 

0 Kudos
oner1
Tuning in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

DOES THE VIRGIN TIVO USE WIFI TO ACCESS ON DEMAND TV?

Unfortunately the TiVo doesn't have a WiFi receiver in them so if they're not connected to your hub through an ethernet connection they would be getting their network connection through the same coaxial cable that they use for their general TV connection.

I am trying to improve the performance of my Tivo when using on-demand (iPlayer, Youtube, etc). It is currently painfully slow. I had thought that by improving my wi-fi that would help. But I have found the statement above elsewhere on this forum which suggests to me the Tivo cannot utilise wi-fi for this purpose.

Are my only options coaxial or ethernet?

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: DOES THE VIRGIN TIVO USE WIFI TO ACCESS ON DEMAND TV?

The TiVo box has an inbuilt, hardwired internal cablemodem for all internet, online & VOD functions. The incoming Coax cable carries the TV signal and 10Mb/s internet.

The V6 uses the Coax for TV, and a connection to a VM Superhub for online functions. Ideally that connection is a physical Ethernet or Powerline, but it can be over WiFi.

Although the TiVo is quite capable of running VOD and all the apps it has access to, the V6 is undoubtedly massively better at it.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Sorry, I assumed you had a V6, not TiVo.

TiVo does not require a connection to your broadband router, it has its own internet connection, separate from your own broadband.

In your case, the single physical co-ax connection brings your TV, the broadband for your TV and your own broadband.

The broadband which TiVo has is slow, 10Mb, which partly explains the poor performance and this is compounded by the TiVo hardware being slow as well.

Your only option is to upgrade to V6.

0 Kudos
oner1
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Great Ernie. I am sorry I was not clear. That clears that up - many thanks.

0 Kudos
oner1
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Japitts

Appreciate you taking time to post a response - it explains the mechanics clearly. Thank you.

However my experience, and I appreciate that is all I am able to give you, is that the TiVo (or perhaps it is the supply to it) is delivering a painfully slow service to the degree that watching on demand material is not a realistic option - and yet we are paying for that. I appreciate that you say the V6 is better and I do not doubt that but is there any way I can check that the 10Mb/s that you mention is what is actually coming in? We should be getting better than what we get - Virgin confidently offer on demand as part of the service the TiVo can supply and it is just not delivering for us at the moment.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You can prove you have a working connection by following Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network, and using the various menu options. Also remember there's a difference between "On Demand" as in CatchUp TV from ITV, C4, C5 and the boxset content (this uses VM's IP-based platform), and apps such as the iPlayer that deliver BBC VOD content.

I'd look at your query from a different angle - assuming you have VM broadband, is there any reason why you don't want to swap to a V6 box?

0 Kudos
oner1
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Cheers. 

My wife in particular just feels that we are paying for something promised but not provided and so I needed to ask the question.

I agree with you V6 is the way to go if we are staying with Virgin - yes we have V broadband also. We need to revamp our deal altogether - contract ran out a long time ago and we are paying far too much for what we get in terms of tv channels, hardware etc. 

We are in a 3 storey townhouse. Assuming we do stick with Virgin but on a new deal I will want to be able to connect the hub to the V6 by ethernet but also achieve a good quality wifi through the house(my wife and I both work from home) - probably by introducing mesh coverage. At present the broadband enters the house on the top floor and I will want to change that. Some have suggested that will in itself will cost £99 as an unessential engineering job. Others, me included, suggest I would be closing down the current deal and opening a new one, effectively as a new customer - so that where the broadband has to come into the house would simply constitute part of a standard set up.

0 Kudos