Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Buffering and Glitches

Hi folks,

My dad, who has been a virgin subscriber for years, is having constant issues with his service. He is older and has late-stage cancer which requires a lot of treatment. This leaves him not in a position to resolve these issues (he's tried several things) and is left frustrated with his service (he has one of the most expensive packages) and his inability to sort it.

The issue:

- Every couple of minutes the screen glitches (it has a blocky, sometimes green, digital distortion). He watches in spite of this but it does spoil the enjoyment

- Buffering issues with apps. iPlayer and Netflix are the two he uses mainly, but I assume others will be affected. What happens is: open iPlayer, takes an age to load app, when loaded and program selected it takes a while to start up, starts playing for under a minute and then an error message pops up and you can't view any longer. Similar sort of thing with Netflix.

What we've done:

- Had a technician out who I believe installed a booster or something, changed some equipment out but really didn't check anything properly as issue persists with no change.

- The tv to router distance is impractical for an ethernet cable so we bought powerline adapters which are working correctly but made no change to the issues at hand. PS. Not sure if a setting needs changed to use ethernet connection rather than wifi or whether this has any actual impact on the problem anyway.

I don't live in the same city as my dad and really want to make his life easier by resolving this with minimum impact on him but I'm feeling defeated at the moment.

Thanks for any help

Mike

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Buffering and Glitches

Aditional info:

He has the TiVo box

Happy to share any other info that would be helpful!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Buffering and Glitches

Hi the older TiVo boxes are notoriously bad at handling things like Netflix YouTube etc, they have built in modems so are not reliant on a connection to a hub, the only thing I can think of is to upgrade to a V6 box which relies a connection to the hub, if this is installed by a virgin engineer may I suggest the hub be moved near the V6 so it can be connected with Ethernet, I feel sure this will solve the issue.Regards Micky
0 Kudos