cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Box keeps resuming from standby

andy1027
Up to speed

Hi , our Virgin TiVo box keeps resuming from standby every now and again and stays that way. to be honest this is a long running issue now but I thought I would post and ask about it to see if there are any solutions. 
Not sure how often the box comes out of standby as we aren’t in that room very often but nothing is set to record and the box, as far as I can tell, records anything automatically. 

Even when it is on standby mode every now and again you can hear the hard disk spin up. Why would that be? 

To clarify this is the first TiVo box not the V6 or the 360 

Andy from Belfast dialling in
3 REPLIES 3

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

When you say resuming from standby, do you mean the hard drive is spinning up? or the front-left LED goes green to indicate the box has "turned on"?

The hard drive spinning up would be indicative of a scheduled recording, or the regular 6hourly calls home to update the EPG.

What do you mean by "records anything automatically"? - this could the suggestions function that's enabled.. to check this, follow Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Recordings > Suggestions

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Nothing scheduled to record. But hard drive spins up. As you say it may be that the EPG is updating. 

However I am nearly sure the box keeps resuming from standby at times too. At times I’d have it on standby then come back the next day and it’s got both green lights on at the front. 

Double checked the recording suggestions setting. This is set to not record suggestions. 

Andy from Belfast dialling in

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It's possible the TiVo is restarting overnight, and after booting up, it's taking the 2 or 4 hours (depending on your power-saving settings) of power-up before going back to standby.

There's a way of testing this theory, but it's a little cryptic on a TiVo...

Follow Home > Help & Settings > Settings, and make sure the menu option that's highlighted is something other than the top one. After the box "resumes from standby", go back into this menu and see where the highlight is. It resets to the top-line after a restart.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks