Menu
zebra2020
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Blocky and corrupted playback of recordings

For several months I have had a recurring problem with some of my recordings.

Programs are apparently recorded but do not always playback properly. Either the whole program or the 2nd half of the program gets turned into a series of small multicoloured blocks across the screen.

A few months ago I spoke to somebody on the phone about this, who said an engineer would call within 48 hours. Obviously this has not happened, and neither have I managed to get through on the phone for the last few days of trying.

Looking at other people's posts it appears to be a possible problem with the hard drive. I would appreciate some advice and/or a new box and am posting on here as I'm not sure how to progress this further with the current "customer service" situation on the phones.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Blocky and corrupted playback of recordings

Your diagnosis is quite feasible.

Incoming signal issues would be evident by live-TV breaking up on either one or many channels, and recordings would therefore be affected.

If live-TV is ok, but recorded (or live-TV pause) programs are breaking up, that would suggest issues with the hard-disk which will only be resolved by your box being replaced. For that to happen, Virgin Media need to know your box is having these problems - they won't know unless you report it. I appreciate there may be call queues at times, but I suppose it depends how keen you are to get the problem resolved!

Which box do you currently have? If it's a TiVo, there's a very good chance that they will resolve this by arranging a swap to a new V6 box via self-install.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
zebra2020
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the advice. I have a Tivo at the moment. I agree that a replacement box is probably the most realistic and economical option.

In some ways I am posting on this forum in hopes that it might be picked up by VM. I have tried calling a number of times over the last 6 months (and most days in the last 2 weeks) and given up on hold while I still have a bit of my lunch break remaining. On one occasion about 3 months ago I managed to get through and was told an engineer would call within 48 hours; nothing happened.

I am keen to get the problem resolved but bearing in mind I'm paying several hundred pounds a year, I don't think it's reasonable to have a situation where the only way that a customer can get faults resolved is by undertaking such a substantial effort and investment of time. I have been a customer of VM for over 15 years but there would come a point where I would have to think about researching whether any of their competitors make it slightly easier for the customer! 

0 Kudos
Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi zebra2020, thanks for messaging us. We are sorry to hear that you are having issues with the TiVo and the recordings. Can you confirm if you have managed to speak to us since posting on Sunday and if the issue still occurs. Please let us know if you are still having issues with the service. ^Chris 

0 Kudos
zebra2020
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for responding to my message. Yes it is all sorted now. We have a new V6 box and this, in combination with leaving the signal attenuator (? small white box thing virgin fitted last year) plugged in 24 hours a day has stopped any blocky recording problems so far. 

0 Kudos