cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black Friday Sky Cinema HD Offer - TIVO Box

breid17
On our wavelength

I am an existing customer with a TIVO box and I just would like someone to confirm that I can't take advantage of the Black Friday Sky Cinema HD offer because it appears, from the T&Cs, that there is a compatibility problem with the TIVO box. 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

TiVo's support HD but are also very elderly technology and are being actively withdrawn now.

The T&Cs of the offer are quite clear, unless this is a mistake on VM's part then TiVo users are not eligible.

The V6 is a much better box, far quicker in operation with more recording tuners - providing you have VM home broadband. Assuming you have VM broadband, you'd certainly benefit from a box-swap.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Can you link to which specific offer you're asking about? The TiVo doesn't support 4K UHD, which may be an issue - but HD should be fine.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

breid17
On our wavelength

Thanks for your reply japitts. I thought the same as you regarding HD and TIVO box so I've copied the relevant information from the Black Friday T&Cs for the Sky Cinema HD offer and also some info from the Sky Sports HD T&Cs which seems to contradict the Cinema HD T&Cs.

Sky Cinema HD Offer - £8 extra a month: Price effective for as long as customers keep Sky Cinema exclusive of add-ons Only available in the UK to selected Virgin Media TV customers (excluding existing Sky Sports, Sky Cinema and Stream customers, and those with a Tivo- or older - set top box). Sky Cinema HD requires a HD TV, a V6 or Virgin TV 360 box connected with HDMI cables required for HD channels. Offer ends: 27th Nov 2023.

Sky Sports HD – £18.50 extra a month: Price effective for as long as customers keep Sky Sports HD exclusive of add-ons..HD viewing requires HD TV and TiVo, V6 or TV360 box. UHD viewing requires a 4k TV.

As you can see the HD requirements for the two offers vary - it appears that the Sports HD offer is fine with a TIVO box while the Cinema HD is not! Hence the reason for my original post. I would be very grateful if you (or maybe Virgin Media) could kindly let me know if I can take advantage of the Sky Cinema HD offer. Thanks

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

TiVo's support HD but are also very elderly technology and are being actively withdrawn now.

The T&Cs of the offer are quite clear, unless this is a mistake on VM's part then TiVo users are not eligible.

The V6 is a much better box, far quicker in operation with more recording tuners - providing you have VM home broadband. Assuming you have VM broadband, you'd certainly benefit from a box-swap.

breid17
On our wavelength

I really appreciate that you have taken the time (again) to reply. It isn't the reply I wanted although it is what I suspected. One last question (I promise) - do they charge for swapping out boxes? Thanks again.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There is no proactive swapout programme, there's two approaches you could take.

1: Requesting a swap - nothing wrong with this, but VM may take the view of serviceable equipment being needlessly replaced, they will very likely do a sales pitch on TV360. This is totally different software, fundamentally not TiVo and very different in many respects. Do your research and be prepared to be clear on your answer.

2: Faulty TiVo's are replaced with V6 as a matter of course.