Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Back up to stand alone DVD recorder

Until recently I was able to back up my recordings from my Virgin digi-box to a stand alone DVD recorder via scart to scart, BUT it seemed that that facility was withdrawn by VM, which was worrying when you get messages stating “this recording will be deleted in 3 days” or even “24 hours” (Second issue here – WHY!?!?!!? The digi-box hard drive is rarely over 50% full!!)

SO, I found that I could still transfer recording via scart to phono, BUT THAT has now been taken away! 🤔 I AM SO ANNOYED at Virgin. For two pins I’d get a Freeview box and tell Virgin to stuff their (laughable) “service”.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Back up to stand alone DVD recorder

@Lord-Elpus wrote:

Until recently I was able to back up my recordings from my Virgin digi-box to a stand alone DVD recorder via scart to scart, BUT it seemed that that facility was withdrawn by VM, which was worrying when you get messages stating “this recording will be deleted in 3 days” or even “24 hours” (Second issue here – WHY!?!?!!? The digi-box hard drive is rarely over 50% full!!)

SO, I found that I could still transfer recording via scart to phono, BUT THAT has now been taken away! 🤔 I AM SO ANNOYED at Virgin. For two pins I’d get a Freeview box and tell Virgin to stuff their (laughable) “service”.

1) Virgins agreements with the broadcasters only allow recording for “time shifting” purposes (see the T&Cs on VMs website). The broadcasters have always wanted the ability to stop people making permanent recordings & the move to digital was just the move they needed.
Recordings will only be deleted if the space is needed. Many people get these warnings but never lose anything.

2) I hope your Freeview DVD recorder is in good nick & is also DVB-T2 compatible, as these are now as rare as hens teeth. Most Freeview recorders are PVRs now with a recording hard disk & DVD PLAYER only. You cannot make permanent recordings from these either. 

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Back up to stand alone DVD recorder

Thank you nodrogd for your very prompt and detailed reply - much appreciated. 🙂

Lord E

0 Kudos