Menu
Targetshooter
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

BBC iPlayer sound but no picture

Hi, I've searched but can't find any answer to my new V6 TIVO app for BBC iPlayer now not showing picture (black screen) but does play sound. I've tried resetting "Connect to VM services" but no change. This was working last week. Also ITV hub, All4 and others are all working fine. Is this connected with iPlayer "Build ID Mon Feb13 2017 11:20 GMT"?

Hope there's a fix before I have to ring 150. Thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: BBC iPlayer sound but no picture

Hello Targetshooter.

Thanks for posting Smiley Happy

Are you still experiencing an issue with the sound and if so are there any particular programs this is happening on?

Looking forward to hearing from you

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Targetshooter
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi, My problem was that I could hear sound but screen was black. Just tried iplyer again and pleased to say it is now working. I have though now got another problem with the v6 box stuck on "waking up" screen. This has now happened twice. Only fix seems to be to use power off switch on back of box. Advice would be much appreciated.  Thanks 

0 Kudos
cso025
Tuning in
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi All

I'm also having this problem with BBC IPlayer  but it is also happening with Youtube and Vevo. You can navigate the menu screens and select a video to play but as already mentioned you get sound but no picture. These Apps were working last week and I first noticed the problem yesterday, I tried rebooting the V6 box and everything worked okay. Tried the Apps again today and once again sound only but no display. I have logged an incident with Virgin Media to let them know about the problem. No problems with 'On Demand' service and with 'Catchup' it only seems to be BBC IPlayer. Virgin Media are going to refer the incident up the line to the relevant people and they have advised me not to reboot the V6 box for the moment unless I really want to watch something on BBC IPlayer or Youtube, they have promised a callback within 72 hours.

For the record I had a V6 box installed on 8th February, no problems for the first week then it started rebooting itself normally the first time it was switched on each day. It did occur at other times, sometimes twice a day. With one particular recording I found that when playback reached a certain point the box rebooted, tried 3 times with that recording and it happened each time. Logged an incident with Virgin Media and V6 was replaced on Saturday 25th February 2017. The engineer who replaced the V6 box seemed fairly knowledgeable, he told me that Virgin Media knew about the reboot problem and a software download is scheduled for Sunday night 5th March 2017 to fix this and other problems. Fingers crossed.

Steve67
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

i have an engineer calling in tomorrow with this iplayer/vevo fault and on the odd occasion no picture at all just the sound and tv guide etc..
i will report back on his findings..
0 Kudos
cso025
Tuning in
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Steve 67

Thanks for the update.

I'm still waiting to hear from Virgin Media but checked today and the problem is now also happening with the BBC News App and the BBC Sports App. In addition when I try to play anything on Netflix I get the following message "We're having trouble playing this title at the moment. Please try again later or select a different title". Have tried several titles with the same result. These Apps were all working yesterday, fault is still happening with BBC IPlayer, Youtube and Vevo. Interestingly it is only Apps that are affected!!!

0 Kudos
Steve67
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

the virgin engineer has just been out.
apparently there is no issue with the box , the issue is with the app providers.
so awaiting a call back next week after he has investigated it with the tech department.

so still left with no catch up service for bbc nor youtube or vevo.

0 Kudos
Steve67
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Anyone with problems like this should post here, as the more who highlight a problem the more likely it is picked up by virgin tech dept.

0 Kudos
cso025
Tuning in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the feedback.

I have an engineer calling on Tuesday but from what you've said I'm not hopeful of a resolution.

If it's the fault of the App developers why should so many Apps stop working at the same time and the problem (in my case certainly) is only with Apps that appear in the App menu!!! If I reboot the V6 box they work again but only for so long. Not sure when they stop working, I have tried putting the box in standby then switching on again and they still work. I have tried doing the same but also switching the TV off and on and they still work but eventually go off again, normally overnight but not always. It seems to be when the V6 box has been switched off for quite a while but why this should happen I don't know.

If the problem is with the Apps themselves why doesn't it happen all of the time and why aren't all V6 boxes effected?

Will give feedback on Tuesday after the engineer has been out.

0 Kudos
cso025
Tuning in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi All

Just had the Virgin Media engineer who seemed quite knowledgeable.

Since reporting my problem with 'sound only and no picture' I have also had the issue of the V6 rebooting, normally the first time it is switched on each day. This whilst being inconvenient meant that if the V6 rebooted then I wouldn't have the 'sound only and no picture' issue because that could be resolved by rebooting the V6 anyway.

After showing the problem to the engineer; luckily the V6 hadn't rebooted that morning so I had the 'sound only and no picture' issue, he contacted one of his colleagues and subsequently informed me that both the issues I am experiencing are known problems which are being investigated. He took the model number of my Samsung TV which may assist them with their investigations.

The engineer informed me that I should leave the V6 switched on and not put it into 'Standby' whilst the issues are being investigated. I had to alter the power saving setting so that the V6 will not go into 'Standby' automatically after so long. Leaving the V6 switched on should prevent any reboots and in addition I shouldn't experience the 'sound only and no picture' issue which only seems to occur if the V6 is in 'Standby' overnight because this is when the problem seems to materialise!!!

The engineer is to ring me on Friday for an update.

0 Kudos